Subject: [urn] Request for the NID 'itu' for URN - draft-itu-urn

From: "OTA, Hiroshi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 14:57:46 +0000

Dear all,

I would like to submit the attached Internet-Draft "URN Namespace for ITU" (draft-itu-urn.txt) for requesting the Namespace Identifier (NID) 'itu' for Uniform Resource Names (URNs) used to identify resources published by the ITU (International Telecommunication Union).

Thank you.
Hiroshi

---
Hiroshi OTA, Advisor, ITU-T SG15
International Telecommunication Union
Place des Nations CH-1211 Geneva 20 Switzerland
Tel: +41 22 730 6356
Fax: +41 22 730 5853
E-mail: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 16:03:14 +0100

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 02:57:46PM +0000,
 OTA, Hiroshi <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 313 lines which said:

> I would like to submit the attached Internet-Draft "URN Namespace
> for ITU" (draft-itu-urn.txt)

Unless you want a prior examination by this list (it is not
mandatory, and your draft seems OK), the normal way to submit is
through the datatracker <https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/>

---

From: "OTA, Hiroshi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:40:56 +0000

Thank you Stephane.  I will submit my I-D through the datatracker.

Regards,
Hiroshi

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 16:03
To: OTA, Hiroshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; TSB SG15 Secretariat, ITU <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Request for the NID 'itu' for URN - draft-itu-urn

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 02:57:46PM +0000,  OTA, Hiroshi <[email-masked]> wrote  a message of 313 lines which said:

> I would like to submit the attached Internet-Draft "URN Namespace for 
> ITU" (draft-itu-urn.txt)

Unless you want a prior examination by this list (it is not mandatory, and your draft seems OK), the normal way to submit is through the datatracker <https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/>

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:10:00 -0500

Hiroshi,

Having skimmed very quickly through the draft (warning: I have
not studied it carefully), a few observations/suggestions.

First, we have updated and replaced the registration procedures
described in the drafts you cite with those of RFC 8141.  You
should look at that document, which will actually make things
easier for you, and update your draft accordingly.

One of the procedural changes is that, as a recognized standards
developer, the ITU need not post an I-D or publish an RFC in
order to register a URN namespace and NID if you refer to
publish and maintain the relevant documents yourselves.  In
general, ITU just decides what is best for its needs, documents
it appropriately, and then requests the registration, with input
from the IETF being largely advisory.  Details are in RFC 8141.
Should you want to move ahead with RFC publication, see
Stephane's note for instructions on posting the Internet Draft.

I do have one more substantive concern after having skimmed the
draft.  While I think what you have proposed appears to be
reasonable, I think we would expect that anything that covers
registrations from all three Sectors should be submitted from or
endorsed by the office of the Secretary General rather than
appearing to come from ITU-T or a single ITU-T SG alone.  It
seems to me that formal recognition from the Central Secretariat
would protect ITU-T, as well as IETF and IANA, from any possible
future misunderstandings.

thanks and regards,
    john

--On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 14:57 +0000 "OTA, Hiroshi"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> 
> I would like to submit the attached Internet-Draft "URN
> Namespace for ITU" (draft-itu-urn.txt) for requesting the
> Namespace Identifier (NID) 'itu' for Uniform Resource Names
> (URNs) used to identify resources published by the ITU
> (International Telecommunication Union).
> 
> Thank you.
> Hiroshi
> 
> ---