Subject: #1029: USEFOR 3.2.2 References: Should comments be a MUST NOT?

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:32:05 +0200

New ticket:

At the moment, section 3.2.2 of usefor-04 says:

 o Comments in CFWS between message identifiers can cause
 interoperability problems, so comments SHOULD NOT be generated,
 but MUST be accepted.

 --On 3. juni 2005 01:45 -0400 "Forrest J. Cavalier III"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

 > BTW, CFWS in References is a silly unnecessary complication. (CFWS
 in
 > any structured header
> is a bad idea,IMNSHO. - I implement article processing software.)
 >
 > usepro Transitional Arrangements even admits comments in References
 will
 > break existing software.
 >
 > So, why are comments going to be allowed in the References header?
 >
 > Is the idea to make References irrelevant and unreliable, and then
 we
 > don't
> care that it cannot be parsed by legacy software?

 While we cannot change RFC 2822, it may be logical to change SHOULD
NOT to MUST NOT.