Subject: Re: #1008 USEFOR 1.5 References: Final text on "followup"

From: John Stanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:04:34 -0700 (PDT)

"Charles Lindsey" <chl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I want USEFOR to use the term "header body" for the syntactic object,

There are two parts to a message: the header and the (optional) body. 

The header consists of header fields.

A header field consists of a field name and a field body.

That's what RFC2822 tells us. And that part of RFC2822 is hardly email 
specific.

"Header body" is joining two terms that are at the same level of
definition for two different parts of a message, and hoping that the
reader guesses it means something related to only one specific line in one
specific part of a message. 

"Header field body" is the term for the contents of the header field that 
are not the field name or separator. When we initialize an inherited 
header field in an outgoing message, we want to copy the header field 
body, typically, of the parent. We don't need a new term for it. 

If you want to keep comments out of References header field bodies, define
them without comments. End of problem.

And, by the way, this discussion is proof that discussing USEFOR and 
USEPRO separately will not work: here's a definition that is supposed to
go into USEFOR so USEPRO can use something other than RFC2822-defined 
terms.

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:36:22 GMT

>There are two parts to a message: the header and the (optional) body.

No, not in USEFOR as currently written. There is a discussion in progress
as to whether to change USEFOR to adhere strictly to the RFC 2822
terminology, and if that change is made then the "header body" that I have
asked for will become "header field body".

But that change has not yet been agreed, and hence I am continuing to use
the present terminology.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5