Subject: ADMIN: Ticket system changes

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:04:54 +0200

I've had a new field added to the ticket system configuration.
It's called "Discussion", and is intended to reflect the state of 
discussion on the issue.

The values are:

No discussion
No consensus
Text needed
Text proposed
Text accepted
Proposed no change
No change needed
Document updated

The intention is that "no consensus" is the state while we're still 
talking; "text needed" is when we think we know a solution but don't have a 
text yet; "text proposed" and "proposed no change" should be obvious; "text 
accepted" and "no change needed" are the states after consensus on the 
issue is declared.

Once the editor integrates the text into his running copy, he can change 
the value to "Document updated" and close the ticket.

This proved an effective means of working in the IASA BCP discussions, so 
I'd like to do it again.

As part of this change, I've changed ticket #1008 to be "Text accepted" 
rather than being a closed ticket.

                     Harald