Subject: NEW: USEFOR 05 3.2.14 Injection-Info

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:59:41 GMT

Ticket please.

There was a thread entitled Injection-Info issues starting at
http://www.imc.org/ietf-usefor/mail-archive/msg00859.html which never
reached any final conclusion. After reviewing that thread, there are just
a couple of points which still seem worth pursuing.

1. A new parameter for authentication identities.

A new paramater of the form

        "authentication" "=" <value>

The "authentication" parameter identifies the "authentication identity" of
the poster, as used by him to identify himself when injecting the article
(using, for example, the SASL mechanism described in
[draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-*.txt]).

There was some discussion of this, and Russ at least seemed happy with it.

2. Privacy issues

I propose adding, at the end of 3.2.14:

   The choice between these various <parameter>s has privacy implications.
   These are discussed in [USEAGE].

If you look in 4.1.4 of USEAGE, you will find the text originally written
when we invented the Injection-Info header way back. We had long arguments
about privacy at that time, which resulted in that text. It would be
useful to put a pointer into USEFOR here in order to prevent us going
through all those same arguments again.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5