Subject: #1021 USEFOR Newsgroups header - not quite resolved

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:13:57 +0200

There have been a number of suggestions for format changes, but most people 
seem to be mostly happy with the text (Charles excepted).
I think the language on _ / + / - needs another pass when we know what to 
do about "agents" - USEFOR should either have all of them defined or not 
mention them at all, and the term "generate" has proved tricky.

But let's insert this text into -05, and put in a marker for the issue.

The current text of the list of groups:

The following newsgroup names have been used for specific purposes in
various implementations and protocols, and MUST therefore not be used
for the names of normal newsgroups. They MAY be used for their
specific
purpose, or by local agreement.

 Groups starting with the component "to"
 Groups starting with the component "control"
 Groups containing the component "all"
 Groups containing the component "ctl"
 The group "junk"

 This includes the groups "to", "control", "ctl" and "all".

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:45:54 GMT

> This includes the groups "to", "control", "ctl" and "all".

I would suggest:

  Groups whose first (or only) component is "foo".

(just for those who cannot distinguish between subsets and proper subsets).

Also, what about some wording describing the reasons for the exclusions?

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5