Subject: #1022 USEFOR 2.1 obs-phrase: Resolution

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:00:49 +0200

Debate showed that messing with the first paragraph is not easy.
This is moved to #1053, which addresses the specific issue.
However, the resolution of the obs-phrase issue seems clear.

I have placed this as "text accepted".

Resolution:

OLD:

 News articles MUST conform to the syntax specified in Section 3 of
 [RFC2822]. Netnews agents MAY also accept the obsolete syntax
 specified in Section 4 of [RFC2822], but they MUST NOT generate
 productions of such syntax.

NEW:

 News articles MUST conform to the syntax specified in Section 3 of
 [RFC2822]. Netnews agents MAY also accept the obsolete syntax
 specified in Section 4 of [RFC2822], but they MUST NOT generate
 productions of such syntax.

 Agents MUST accept the obs-phrase construct (use of a phrase like
 "John Q. Public" without the use of quotes, see [RFC2822]
 section 4.1) but they MUST NOT generate productions of such syntax.