Subject: #1021 Newsgroups header ABNF: Status

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:48:06 +0200

The only comment I have in my memory buffer is the one from Charles 
suggesting adding an explanation for the exceptions:

     NOTE: "example.*" is reserved for examples in this and other
     standards; "poster" has a special meaning in the Followup-To header
     field; "to.*" is reserved for certain point-to-point communications
     in conjunction with the "ihave" control message [USEPRO]; "control.*"
     and "junk" have special meanings in some news-servers; "all" is used
     as a wildcard in some implementations; and "ctl" was formerly used to
     indicate a <control-command> within the Subject header field.

Is there support for adding this, or opposition to it?
Leaving this as "text proposed" for now.

                Harald

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:00:12 -0700

>      in conjunction with the "ihave" control message [USEPRO];
>      "control.*" and "junk" have special meanings in some news-servers;
>      "all" is used as a wildcard in some implementations; and "ctl" was
>      formerly used to indicate a <control-command> within the Subject
>      header field.

> Leaving this as "text proposed" for now.

I support adding this; I always find this sort of documentation of
exception cases worthwhile.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>