Subject: Some stats on identifiers.....

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:42:44 +0200

another result of the wonderful log set I received.... a script run over 
one million Path: headers gave:

7592 different names
2848 domain names - occur 7364712
53 IPv4 addresses - occur 34377
758 Fidonet addresses - occur 66665
366 trailing POSTED - occur 194242
168 trailing MISMATCH - occur 87192
321 something else - occur 1503171

Of 2848 domain-like names, 2182 had an A record
751 had an MX record, and 751 had both

666 had neither.

(In order to get these numbers, I had to do some tricks, for instance 
dropping anything after POSTED in the path, whether that was alone or 
within a "hostname.POSTED" - because at least one site injected a seemingly 
random hex number into the path after the POSTED... I also dropped all 
names occuring 5 or fewer times, for the same reason.)

Conclusion, sort of:

There aren't that many non-domain-like names around.
But those that are there are important.

                       Harald

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:57:55 GMT

>168 trailing MISMATCH - occur 87192

Which means that there are 168 well-used sites that ought to be sorting
out the problem with their peers :-( .

>321 something else - occur 1503171

That doesn't add up to 7592. I presume it means that there were 3246
"barewords" not otherwise classifiable, but in that case what is
"something else"?

>But those that are there are important.

Certainly those 3246 barewords are important, if my arithmetic is correct.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:39:33 +0200

> "barewords" not otherwise classifiable, but in that case what is

3246 names occured 5 times or less. I forgot to count that.