Subject: Re: #1078 3.1.5 Newsgroup header in email

From: John Stanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:16:24 -0700 (PDT)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>John Stanley, Richard Clayton and Forrest J. Cavalier argued against it, 

Actually, John Stanley argued that first of all the message is email and 
not news and thus outside the scope of our responsibility to be able to
standardize it, and second that lacking the ability to standardize it the
best we could do is document the existing uses. I didn't want it 
undefined, I simply pointed out that it IS undefined and we cannot change
that here.

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:54:10 GMT

>undefined, I simply pointed out that it IS undefined and we cannot change

Ah! So you would accept defining it as proposed, but believed that we had
no power to do that. If it were established we had the power, would you
accept the definition?

The point is that such appearances of Newsgroups in email always arise
from news agents doing things which maybe they shouldn't be doing. And
surely declaring what news agents should or should not be doing is very
much our business.

However, the matter is easily settled. Harald is very familiar with what
is allowed by the IETF and seemed to think it was OK. But, for the removal
of all doubt, it would be a simple matter to ask the IESG whether it would
be in order for us to do it. It is, after all, "our" header.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5