Subject: Supersedes and Expire header fields

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:36:43 -0500

Out current text has the following note regarding Supersedes:

    NOTE: The Supersedes header field defined here has no connection with
    the Supersedes header field that sometimes appears in Email messages
    converted from X.400 according to [RFC2156]; in particular, the
    syntax here permits only one <msg-id> in contrast to the multiple
    <msg-id>s in that Email version.

RFC 2156 also defines an Expires header field, which looks like its 
compatible with Netnews, provided the mandatory SP follows ':'.  Do we 
want to have some kind of note similar to what we have above for 
Expires, or should we refer to RFC 2156 when discussing it?

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Project Cyrus Developer/Maintainer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 05:52:04 +0100

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Do we want to have some kind of note similar to what we have
> above for Expires

I take it that you mean Supersedes here.  

| / "Expires" ":" date-time
[...]

The MIXER <date-time> is apparently 822, and the proposed 2822
wishes to update 822.  We already discuss this in the draft.

IMHO no second note about MIXER needed:  mail2news operators
would know what to do if a MIXER <date-time> incompatible with
USEFOR hits them.  And they also know "magic SP everywhere".

                       Bye, Frank

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:18:03 GMT

>Expires, or should we refer to RFC 2156 when discussing it?

At least their Expires is defined with the same syntax and essentially the
same semantics, so the potential for harm/confusion is less. Moreover, it
is generally acepted that headers defined for email and used in Netnews,
or vice versa are OK if their meaning carries over in a sensible manner.

So I think all that might be needed is a NOTE:

   NOTE: The Expires header field is also sometimes used in Email with a
   similar meaning [RFC 2156].

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:38:01 -0500

>    similar meaning [RFC 2156].

Done.