Subject: #1047 poll - outstanding item: diagnostics fixed or flexible

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:45:53 +0100

In the dialogue between Frank and Charles, I have seen two possible 
grammars for diagnostic proposed:

A) List of keywords is fixed in USEFOR

path-diagnostic =  diag-match / diag-mismatch / diag-seen /
                   diag-posted / diag-deprecated

diag-match      =  "!"                           ; an additional "!"
diag-seen       =  "!.SEEN."           diag-identity
diag-mismatch   =  "!.MISMATCH."       diag-identity
diag-posted     =  "!.POSTED"    [ "." diag-identity ]
diag-deprecated =  "!" 1*( path-nodot "." ) path-nodot

B) List of keywords is not fixed in USEFOR

path-diagnostic = diag-match / diag-other / diag-deprecated

 diag-match      = "!"                     ; another "!"
 diag-deprecated = "!" IPv4address         ; (see below)
 diag-other      = "!." diag-keyword [ "." diag-identity ]

 diag-keyword    = 1*ALPHA                 ; see USEPRO

I don't want to call consensus on this question (which I hope is the 
last outstanding item for #1047) based on two people with opposite 
viewpoints + my own opinion.

Please send back a note to the list saying:

- I support syntax A
- I support syntax B
- I have a different opinion

This poll will last until March 10 (one week from today).

Since that is after the posting deadline for drafts before the IETF, 
I've instructed Ken to include the first syntax in the next version of 
the draft; this should not be taken as biasing the poll either way.

                 Harald

---

From: "Ruud H.G. van Tol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:26:49 +0100

-- 
Grtz, Ruud

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:42:53 -0800

> - I have a different opinion

I think I have a mild preference for B, although either is fine with me.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:09:44 GMT

>- I have a different opinion

I support syntax B

I have also some niggles regarding <diag-deprecated>, but these are
orthogonal to the question being asked, and are in any case 2nd order
issues.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Richard Clayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 23:56:31 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, Harald Alvestrand
<[email-masked]> writes

>- I have a different opinion

apologies for slow response ...

I support B -- it seems silly to have multiple documents and not use
that flexibility.  However, I don't feel very strongly on this and could
live with either

- -- 
richard @ highwayman . com                       "Nothing seems the same
                          Still you never see the change from day to day
                                And no-one notices the customs slip away"