Subject: Moderator duties

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:45:28 -0800

I went over the text in Duties of a Moderator about what a moderator is
allowed to do and came up with the following rewording.  Do folks feel
that this is an improvement?  Does this address some of the concerns with
the previous language?

   There are no protocol restrictions on what criteria are used for
   accepting or rejecting messages or on what modifications a moderator
   may make to a message (both header fields and body) before injecting
   it.  Recommended best practice, however, is to make the minimal
   required changes.  Moderators need to be aware that modifications
   made to articles may invalidate signatures created by the poster or
   previous moderators.  See [USEAGE] for further best-practice
   recommendations.

   Moderators process articles as follows:

   1.  They decide whether to approve or reject a proto-article, and if
       approved, prepare the proto-article for injection.  If the proto-
       article was received as an unencapsulated email message, this
       will require converting it back to a valid Netnews proto-article.
       If the article is rejected, it is normally rejected for all
       newsgroups to which it was posted and nothing further is done.
       If it is approved, the moderator proceeds with the following
       steps.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>