Subject: RE: on NAT-PT

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:00:29 -0500

At 04:51 PM 1/20/2003 +0100, BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE wrote:
>Hi all,
>
> >
> > The proxy alternative may make sense for the 3GPP IMS case, as this
> > is a special case where only certain services are required to be
> > IPv6-only.  IMS-capable handsets may still be capable of opening
> > IPv4 PDP contexts for communication with non-IMS IPv4 nodes and
> > services.
> >
>I've proposed that solution for months but it seems that current 3GPP
>specifications do not allow such a solution.

My understanding is that the IMS subsystem is specified to be IPv6-only,
which will require that some services are only available on IPv6 (i.e.
the 3GPP version of SIP).  This may also result in some parts of the
3GPP infrastructure (routers and equivalent) being IPv6-only.

While a handset can be IMS-capable, I don't think that an IMS-capable
handset is required to be IPv6-only.  An IMS handset could still be
capable of establishing IPv4 PDP contexts, and using IPv4 to access
the Internet and/or non-IMS 3GPP networks and services...

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong, and please cite relevant parts
of the 3GPP standards?

Margaret