Subject: RE: on NAT-PT

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:28:03 +0200

Hi, Pekka!

(firstly, thanks Karim & Jonne for your detailed comments; I read them through and I don't have anything special to add to them at the moment.)

What comes to non-IMS traffic / traffic not going through the IMS (i.e. like described in the GPRS scenario 1), IPv4 type of PDP contexts can be used. However, as I have previously commented, getting a public IPv4 address to the UE can be difficult. Using private IPv4 addresses means use of NATs when contacting a peer node in the public Internet.

Cheers,
	-Juha W.-

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Pekka Savola [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 22 January, 2003 11:42

However, the issue I believe Margaret (and others) are trying to get to 
is, is translation (=NAT-PT) really required for _other_ services than the 
IPv6-only IMS.

That is, say, web browsing on a 3GPP device.  Or running IMAP to check
mails.  Connecting your laptop to the 3GPP device.  Or whatever.

For these, I believe, the answer is "no, you could get an IPv4 PDP context
for them without problem and avoid translation".  Right?

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:35:33 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 [email-masked] wrote:
> What comes to non-IMS traffic / traffic not going through the IMS (i.e.
> like described in the GPRS scenario 1), IPv4 type of PDP contexts can be
> used. However, as I have previously commented, getting a public IPv4
> address to the UE can be difficult. Using private IPv4 addresses means
> use of NATs when contacting a peer node in the public Internet.

Of course, but the situation is no worse than it currently is; if we want
to make it better, the right solution is pushing for upgrading the end
nodes you're connecting to and use IPv6.

(I have argued this could be done for the IMS case too, but apparently the 
deployment base of IPv4 VoIP phones etc. which can't be upgraded is larger 
than I expected.)

Pekka

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings