Subject: Re: Request to Publish ISATAP

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 16:41:00 -0800

Fred Templin wrote:

>Alain,
>
>Sorry for moving so quickly on this, but I submitted a -10.txt
>draft before seeing your message. It can be viewed at:
>
>  http://www.geocities.com/osprey67/isatap-10.txt
>  
>
This is somehow better, but there are still problems.
I hope you can fix them in -11.

   2.  There are no mandatory rules for the selection of a FQDN, but
       administrators are encouraged to use the convention
       "isatap.domainname" (e.g., isatap.example.com.)

The -10 draft says nothing on how this name is communicated
from the site Isatap administrator to the isatap nodes.
I guess the draft should say this is done by an out-of band
method,e.g. manual configuration.
If this is the case, then I would strongly recommend you add some
text to say that in the absence of configuration data,
implementations MUST NOT assume that isatap.domainame
will work, and in particular MUST provide a way for the user
to configure that parameter.

     - Alain.

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 13:54:21 -0800

Fred Templin wrote:

>Itojun,
>
>I will not go into the specifics of your message dated 12/24/02,
>but would ask that you review and comment on the latest version
>of the draft found at:
>
>  http://www.geocities.com/osprey67/isatap-09.txt
>

I still have a problem with the DNS solution in draft-09:

   When DNS fully-qualified domain names are used, IPv4 addresses for
   the PRL and SASL are discovered through a static host file or by
   querying an IPv4-based DNS server to resolve the domain names into
   address records (e.g., DNS 'A' resource records) containing IPv4
   addresses.  Unspecified alternative methods for domain name
   resolution may also be used.  The following notes apply when DNS
   fully-qualified domain names are used:

   1.  Site administrators maintain domain names and IPv4 addresses for
       the PRL and SASL for the site's ISATAP service, e.g., as address
       records in the site's name service.  Administrators may also
       advertise the domain names in a DHCPv4 option for ISATAP.

  ==> You are making the assumption that "site's name service" and
      "site's ISATAP service" have the same topology.
      This asumption is now always valid,for example at SUN
      we have some domain names like eng.sun.com which span across
      different geographies.

I support Itojun's suggestion to drop all reference to DNS in this section.

	- Alain.

---

From: Fred Templin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:25:36 -0800 (PST)

Alain,

while awaiting submission to the I-D repository. I think you will
find that this version addresses your concerns somewhat, but perhaps
not completely.

My expectation (and sincere hope) is that we can finalize all
remaining issues in a soon-to-be-released -11.txt draft. In the
meantime, please formalize any additional comments with reference
to -10.

Regards,

Fred Templin
[email-masked]

> I support Itojun's suggestion to drop all reference to DNS in this section.

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com