Subject: NGTRANS notes and DSTM Status

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:06:38 -0500

Margaret,
 
This is just note on the recent strategies for ngtrans work.  Please
kill the DSTM drafts that exist now.  The designers and implementors of
DSTM will build a new specification of DSTM that is complete as it was
in the first incantations of DSTM.
We then will do two things is the plan.  1) We will submit as
Experimental RFC, and 2) Promote this specification within the vendor
and user community with implementation code base reference in the public
domain.  So we will provide an IETF process for this spec, but at the
same time provide implemetation and specification to those wanting to do
DSTM for the reasons DSTM exists for early adopter IPv6 users that will
transition with the strategy to reduce IPv4 routing backbone immediately
on their Intranet environment, to support a dominant IPv6 routing
backbone as a first phase IPv6 transition strategy.  We have also
received superb security issues we will address from mission critical
early adopters of IPv6 to make it a more secure transition mechanism
than previous incantations of the spec.

I am still figuring out the Experimental RFC process as documented but
it will provide a means for some input from the IETF community in some
manner is my knowledge currently.  
 
Sincerely,
/jim