Subject: RE: transition architecture discussion

From: "Pike, Ronald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:50:22 -0800

>I think the most important answer to the 'why' is simply the big
>chicken and egg problem:
> - Why should an client-access provider get IPv6 when his/her/it's/...
>   customers don't want (but probably do need it because of NAT).
> - Why should a hoster do IPv6 when there are no clients to use it.
> - Why should a application programmer do IPv6 when there is no
>   infrastructure to use it's potential?

Educating end users is one of the next important steps.  I am working 
on a user manual of sorts that I plan to use in classes I am teaching 
on network design as well as distribute publicly in some forum.  I am 
attempting to develop a mix of information on why IPv6 should be 
important to many organizations, as well as some howto type of 
information on deploying the protocol.  When there are well designed 
technical workshops on this subject in vendor conferences such as 
Cisco's Networkers conference, Linux vendors and Microsoft conferences, 
as well as planning information being targeted at CIO's through 
periodicals, then enterprises will start to demand IPv6.  When 
enterprises demand the service, ISP's will scramble to provide it.

I appreciate the many great ideas I have received on this mailing list 
and also any other ideas or information anyone has for raising public 
awareness on this issue.

-Ron Pike
California State University, Chico

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:24:55 +0100

> and also any other ideas or information anyone has for raising public 

I've collected some similar documents in
http://www.sixxs.net/presentations/
Especially the one given by Steve Deering, which actually is a
masterclass
is very interresting and detailed, though one does need quite some
insight
into the material. If somebody queries about IPv6 I usually point them
to
that presentation. As for awareness, the talks given at AIAD could give
some information about deployment inside ISP's related to AMS-IX.
Check the NLNetlabs site at:
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/ipv6/aiad/index.html presentations.html for the
presentations, but Ronald can tell you more about that ;)

Maybe a good start would be to have a central place where all this is
available, there are currently *many* sites having useful information
but these sites are all splattered around the internet. There was quite
a useful site http://hs247.com but unfortunatly due to time constraints
this site has not been updated for quite a while. It would be great
if there was a central repository where people could submit their IPv6
stories, links, presentations, tutorials etc. It would ensure that
people looking for information could at least find the information
they where looking for at a central place, without having to google
half of the internet. And no, I am not talking about yet another
RFC mirror ;) Any more thoughts about this?

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:38:49 -0800

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss
  and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  if you wish to regularly
  post from an address that is not subscribed to this mailing list, send a
  message to <listname>[email-masked] and ask to have the alternate
  address added to the list of addresses from which submissions are
  automatically accepted. ]

>RFC mirror ;) Any more thoughts about this?

I'm always willing to host such as this on the 6bone site.

Bob