Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-unmaneval-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:12:22 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Evaluation of Transition Mechanisms for Unmanaged 
                          Networks
	Author(s)	: C. Huitema et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-unmaneval-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2003-6-26
	
In a companion paper we defined the

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-unmaneval-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-v6ops-unmaneval-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-unmaneval-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Fred Templin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:51:18 -0700

Christian et al.,

As per our earlier discussion, thank you for providing the analysis
of isatap in section 4.1.3 of this document update. Unfortunately, I
must point out that the analysis is incomplete in the case of isatap
being used to provide IPv6 connectivity to the gateway.

In this case, the isatap-enabled gateway can receive explicit prefix
delegation(s) from the provider (as described in section 3.1.2 of  the
document) and advertise the prefix(es) to an arbitrarily large number
of native IPv6 hosts on the unmanaged network. So, it is indeed not
true that: "isatap can thus only be used in the degenerate case when
the unmanaged network consists of a single host" as stated in the
current analysis.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]