Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-unman-scenarios-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 07:41:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Unmanaged Networks IPv6 Transition Scenarios
	Author(s)	: C. Huitema, R. Austein, S. Satapati, R. van der Pol
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-unman-scenarios-01.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2003-6-4
	
In order to evaluate the suitability of IPv6 transition mechanisms,
we need to define the scenarios in which these mechanisms have to be
used. One specific scope is the 'unmanaged network', which typically
corresponds to a home or small office network. The scenarios are
specific to single link subnet, and are defined in terms of IP
connectivity supported by the home gateway and the ISP. We first
examine the generic requirements of four classes of applications:
local, client, peer to peer and server. Then, for each scenario, we
infer transition requirements by analyzing the needs for smooth
migration of applications from IPv4 to IPv6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-unman-scenarios-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-v6ops-unman-scenarios-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-unman-scenarios-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:44:29 -0700

The draft "draft-ietf-v6ops-uman-scenarios-01.txt" into account the
comments received during the V6OPS WG last call for
draft-ietf-v6ops-uman-scenarios-00.txt. The authors believe that this
document addresses the last call comments. A list of these comments and
the way they were addressed is available at:

	http://www.huitema.net/ipv6/Unman-Scenarios-Issues.htm

The main changes fall in three categories:

1) Change the topology section to explain exactly why we did not
consider the multiple subnet case (i.e., with today's technology, such
networks are not unmanaged);

2) Change several of the case description scenarios to remove the
more-or-less implicit assumption that there is always a NAT in IPv4
deployments;

3) Fix a number of editorial issues, notably the abstract, the
introduction, the wording of references to DNS issues, and a split of
references between normative and informative.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:15:15 -0400

All my issues are resolved.  I think it should go to the IESG.  
thanks
/jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 10:13 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-unman-scenarios-01.txt
> 
> 
> 
> Hi All,
> 
> Please review the changes to this document, and let us know 
> if all of your last call issues were adequately resolved.  If 
> there are no remaining issues, we hope to forward this 
> document to the IESG by the middle of next week.
> 
> Thanks,
> Margaret
> 
> 
> At 02:44 PM 6/5/2003 -0700, Christian Huitema wrote: