Subject: RE: Defintion of Automatic tunnels

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:18:33 -0700

> So I think it is still pertinent for the IETF to have an opinion on
the
> matter
> and to recommend one approach versus the other, or maybe both if it
can
> be proven
> that there are technical reasons to do so.

This is pretty close to recommending operational procedures, and frankly
that is not what the IETF does best. The IETF shines when it produces
sound specifications, or thorough technical analyses. But operation
practices are better left to practicians, which may be another way of
saying "to the market."

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:45:29 -0700

> practices are better left to practicians, which may be another way of

You have a point. So, let me rephrase:
I think it is still pertinent for the IETF to make a thorough technical 
analysis
of each approach.

	- Alain.