Subject: security considerations comments on draft-ietf-v6ops-unmaneval-00.txt

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:53:02 -0400

1) section 4.3: tunnel-related security considerations really apply to
	all four scenarios; while it is less likely that tunnels will
	be used in the other scenarios, it's not impossible.

suggested edit: pull the meat of section 4.3 into the main security
considerations section and make it clearly applicable to any situation
where tunnels are in use.

2) section 2.2: 

	On dual-stack nodes, similar security policy should be applied
	to ipv4 and ipv6 communications; if strict policy is applied
	only to v6 traffic, this will provide no additional security
	(as the node will likely still be vulnerable through the v4
	side).  As a non-security matter, migration to v6 will be
	discouraged if common apps work over v4 but fail over v6.

suggested edit: replace last sentance of 2.2 with:

   Security policy which prevents use of v6 while allowing v4 will
   discourage migration to v6 without significantly improving
   security.  Developers and administrators should make sure that
   global Internet connectivity through either IPv4 or IPv6 is
   restricted to only those applications that are expressly designed
   for global Internet connectivity.

						- Bill