Subject: RE: 3gpp-analysis-04: Need for UE<->3GPP Configuration? [issue 8]

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:48:01 +0300

Hi, Pekka!

Some comments below with JW:

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Pekka Savola [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 24 July, 2003 12:12

Looking at the document, it is not clear to me how the UE's will be 
configured.

JW: That's right, those issues have not been discussed in our drafts. However, many settings (example: how to define what GGSN Access Point Name is used when you use e.g. MMS application) can be manufacturer specific. Also using OTA (Over The Air) configuration is very common today. An example: you go to your operator www home page and subscribe "MMS settings". Then you receive them via SMS message and approve them in the phone. You can also type in that information manually.

For example, how will they be provisioned with:
 - the DNS server addresses (search path is a definite non-goal)

JW: Yep, that is an important point. In getting DNS server addresses, you can use 3GPP specific mechanism (so-called PCO Information Element) and you receive the DNS server address(es) in PDP context activation - i.e. that is a control plane mechanism. You can also use, for example, stateless DHCPv6. It is a shame that "well-known site-local addresses" cannot make its way to a standard. Anyways, dnsop is working on the general IPv6 DNS disc. problem.

 - addresses of web proxies, and possibly other ALG's 

JW: Yep, and one important thing is the P-CSCF IPv6 address. 3GPP-specific mechanism (PCO IE) or (stateless) DHCPv6 can be used for that. Of course, OTA mechanism could be used.

 - the NTP servers, if needed

JW: Well...I don't think that is necessary in our case..

 - other stuff.

As far as I know, this part of the 3GPP analysis has been forgotten
(however, there is a mention on the requirement for the easy
configurability of proxies in the document.).

JW: Summarizing all the above, some descriptive text can be written, but I am not so sure that it is vitally needed.

Thanks,
	
-Juha-

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:39:35 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 [email-masked] wrote:
[...]
> JW: Summarizing all the above, some descriptive text can be written, but
> I am not so sure that it is vitally needed.

I think it would be useful to include at least something, so that folks 
reading the spec would get an idea "ooh, ok, we'll have to figure out the 
configuration somehow", even though it was actually done using some 
3GPP-specific or implementation-dependant processes.

Think of it as a "reminder" not to forget the configuration requirement if 
you may :-)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings