Subject: Re: reverse delegation of 2002:xxxx:xxxx:: ?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:49:14 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Antonio Querubin wrote:
> Does anybody know what the current procedure (if any) is for getting
> reverse delegation of 6to4 address space going?  I see 2.0.0.2.ip6.int but
> no 2.0.0.2.in-addr.arpa zone.

Btw, this should be in v6ops WG list, I think. (Please remove ipng from 
possible follow-ups.)

As for the current procedure, currently there is none.

draft-ymbk-6to4-arpa-delegation-00.txt should be in IETF Last Call, 
though.  That would enable the owner of the IPv4 address space to get 6to4 
reverse delegations from the RIRs, I think.

Whether that solves Joe Random's need for reverse 6to4 delegation is an 
entirely different thing, because I'd assume that if you have to use 
6to4 in an ISP's network, they aren't interested in IPv6, much less making 
delegations to *you*.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:00:21 +0900

> 6to4 in an ISP's network, they aren't interested in IPv6, much less making 

see <http://psg.com/~randy/030821.apnic-2002-arpa.pdf>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:35:40 -0700 (PDT)

> reverse delegations from the RIRs, I think.

	Presuming the RIRs even want to do this.
	Until/Unless such time as the draft passes and
	the RIRs adopt such a stratagy, registration in
	2.0.0.2.ip6.int is still available.

--bill

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:12:54 +0200

I've heard it suggested that reverse lookup should maybe not
even be set up at all for 6to4, or that it should simply be synthesized
automatically. 

I've certainly heard it suggested that this is a topic for dnsops, 
not for either IPv6 WG.

   Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 

NEW ADDRESS <[email-masked]> PLEASE UPDATE ADDRESS BOOK

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:47:06 -0400

> I've certainly heard it suggested that this is a topic for dnsops, 

Yep.

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:21:10 -0400

Yep.