Subject: Implementation of Ipv6 in winxp

From: "Amarnath Gutta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:52:45 +0530

Hello All,

I have IPv6 enabled on my winxp professional computers. I have 2 of them.

I am able to use ping6 with the IPv6 Address and get a reply from other
computer , but only if I define the scope-id as 4. Without it does not ping.
But as I understand that being on the same LAN the scope Id is
necessary....is it ??

Other problem I am facing is with Web server. I have installed the native
IIS of the winxp. I am able to access the site using the Ipv4 address of the
website but as soon as I put the Ipv6 address in the IE6 (browser) I am
getting error "Invalid Syntax". Why is this happening ?? Syntax is correct
as http://[ipv6-address]  but still I am getting this error. After some
browing I found out that "wininet.dll" file is needed to access IPv6 Sites.
So I got that files from the MSDN and copied it to my //windows/system
directory and still the problem persists.

I am able to Ping and tracert to the Ipv6 address.

Please suggest. Any ideas are welcome.

Regards

Amar

---

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:24:55 -0800

There are several places that are more appropriate than an IETF list to
obtain information on IPv6 support in Microsoft products. A good start
is the web page http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6, which includes pointers
to various white papers, product descriptions, etc., including a pointer
to the Frequently Asked Questions for IPv6 support on Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodt
echnol/winxppro/Plan/FAQIPV6.asp. This FAQ actually addresses the
questions debated in this thread. A good place for further debates may
be the news group "microsoft.public.platformsdk.networking.ipv6".

-- Christian Huitema