Subject: Re: Implementation of Ipv6 in winxp

From: "Sukhdeep Johar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:06:01 -0700

1. ARe you using the link-local addresses [fe80::xxxx] ? 
In that case, u need the scope , even on the same lan.

2. I understand that the default IE in xp cannot use
literal ipv6 addresses. You need to map it in the hosts
file. You can then access using the dns name in ur browser. 

HTH
regards.

>>> "Amarnath Gutta" <[email-masked]> 10/30/2003 7:52:45 PM
>>>
Hello All,

I have IPv6 enabled on my winxp professional computers. I have 2 of
them.

I am able to use ping6 with the IPv6 Address and get a reply from
other
computer , but only if I define the scope-id as 4. Without it does not
ping.
But as I understand that being on the same LAN the scope Id is
necessary....is it ??

Other problem I am facing is with Web server. I have installed the
native
IIS of the winxp. I am able to access the site using the Ipv4 address
of the
website but as soon as I put the Ipv6 address in the IE6 (browser) I
am
getting error "Invalid Syntax". Why is this happening ?? Syntax is
correct
as http://[ipv6-address]  but still I am getting this error. After
some
browing I found out that "wininet.dll" file is needed to access IPv6
Sites.
So I got that files from the MSDN and copied it to my //windows/system
directory and still the problem persists.

I am able to Ping and tracert to the Ipv6 address.

Please suggest. Any ideas are welcome.

Regards

Amar

---

From: "Jeremy T. Bouse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:36:54 -0800

I believe #2 is incorrect... IE 6 atleast can handle IPv6; however it does not
accept IPv6 addresses or do AAAA queries by default. I believe I recalled having
to find a Knowledge Base item on Microsoft's site to enable the AAAA queries and
have been able to verify IPv6 connectivity through IE 6 using www.kame.net's
mosaic turtle image which only properly displays for IPv6 connections...

Regards,
Jeremy T. Bouse

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:56:16 +0100

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

[notez bien this is v6ops; not MS ipv6 list :) ]

Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

> I believe #2 is incorrect... IE 6 atleast can handle IPv6; 
> however it does not accept IPv6 addresses or do AAAA queries by default.

It does support IPv6 by default on XP and up.
Windows 2000 doesn't though and one indeed need a correct
wininet.dll to use that functionality. Check the several
'fixed' IPv6 patches available which include a wininet.dll
with a upgradedversionnumber. Note that it can cause problems.

<SNIP>

> > file. You can then access using the dns name in ur browser. 

Microsoft decided, smartly imho, to disable the support for
http://[<ipv6 address] thus if you want to access a IPv6
capable webserver you will have to enter a hostname.
Note that IIS in XP is not IPv6 capable. Win2003 IIS is though

Mozilla and Opera support IPv6 now too finally :)

Greets,
 Jeroen