Subject: Re: Review: draft-ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption-00.txt (fwd)

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:57:04 +0200 (EET)

FYI,

There was a follow-up on Jim's post about onlinkassumption on the list 
which is probably relevant to this WG as well.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:04:26 +0100 (CET)
From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
To: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Review: draft-ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption-00.txt

> This entire spec is predicated on statement in 2461 that are conceptual
> and not required as compliance to ND RFC 2461.  

Well, the behavior is actually used in section
6.3.6 "Default Router Selection" where section 6 is "host specificatio",
thus it isn't only a conceptual thing.  
6.3.6 says:
     3) If the Default Router List is empty, assume that all
        destinations are on-link as specified in Section 5.2.

At a minimum the specification is unclear on the requirements in this space,
but the way I read it (and wrote it :-) this is something that nodes
are recommended to do.

Thus I think we need to change that recommendation and make the
specification clearer in the process.

   Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------