Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:50:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Survey of IPv4 Addresses in Currently Deployed IETF 
                          Operations & Management Area Standards
	Author(s)	: P. Nesser II, A. Bergstrom
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-03.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-10-2
	
This document seeks to document all usage of IPv4 addresses in currently
deployed IETF Operations & Management Area documented standards.  In order to successfully transition from an all IPv4 Internet to an all IPv6 Internet, many interim steps will be taken. One of these steps is the evolution of current protocols that have IPv4 dependencies.  It is hoped that these protocols (and their implementations) will be redesigned to be network address independent, but failing that will at least dually support IPv4 and IPv6.  To this end, all Standards (Full, Draft, and Proposed) as well as Experimental RFCs will be surveyed and any dependencies will be documented.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:20:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
> Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the
> IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.
> 
...
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-03.txt

I won't have time to do a second complete review of this document,
so I would suggest that any OPS area experts who can should read it
over.  I did notice a couple of small things:

- the sub-section headings in Section 3 need to be renumbered.

- the text for RFCs 2665 and 2668 could be improved a bit (apologies
to the author for not catching this earlier).  Here are the
suggestions.

In this section:

| 5.073 RFC 2665 Definitions of Managed Objects for the
|       Ethernet-like Interface Types
| 
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
| 
| Note that this specification is Obsoleted.

s/is Obsoleted/has been replaced by RFC 3635/

In this section:

| 5.075 RFC 2668 Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3 Medium
|       Attachment Units (MAUs)
| 
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

add the following sentence:

+ Note that this specification has been replaced by RFC 3636.

Alternatively, the document could just refer to 3635 and 3636. It's
not terribly important either way because there are no IPv4
dependencies to confront.

//cmh