Subject: Comments: draft-shin-v6ops-application-transition-02.txt

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:28:26 -0400

I believe this draft is an excellent and important piece of work for
v6ops and should be working group item.  I also suggest it be for
Informational RFC not Standards Track. 

I would also suggest we need review of this work by Eva Castro as
Subject Matter Expert in this area in the IPv6 implementation community,
and the authors should view API work Eva and others did on Programming
Transition IPv6 White Paper as one authority technical document in the
market for IPv6 current deployment URL below.  Might want to compare the
code examples to this paper too.  Possibly reference this document too
as pointer for the reader.

http://www.nav6tf.org/slides/trans_ipv6_v013.pdf

I have no major edits and the document is written well.  Technically all
I found thus far on first read appears to be technically accurate.  Not
sure the section called Transport API is correct labeling of that API
infrastructure as note to authors.  User space typically does not call
actual transport (tcp/udp) APIs?  

One edit was change reference of 2133 to 3493 in the document.

Good Job,
/jim

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:58:30 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

> Informational RFC not Standards Track. 
[..]

Thanks for review, Jim.  We (as in, the authors) certainly take these 
edits into consideration.. all seem very useful.

<WG char hat=on>

To clarify to the WG where we stand with this document..

In Minneapolis, there will be presentation + discussion of this.  We'll
try to gauge whether folks feel this should be a WG document.  Currently,
there seems to me a rather clear sense that this work is going on the
right track.

The target category is indeed Informational RFC.

The only other option for the category would be BCP, but I'm not convinced
it would be useful to fully formalize the coding practices and advice
given in the document.. and whether that would be our job.

<WG chair hat=off>

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings