Subject: draft-baker-ipv6-renumber-procedure-01.txt

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:05:32 -0700

Apologies if you receive something like this twice. I sent such a note 
yesterday morning, and I have yet to see it on the reflector. I suspect 
that it is either stuck in a queue or a casualty of whatever ate 
ietf.org yesterday.

Document in question:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-baker-ipv6-renumber-procedure-01.txt

Ralph Droms, Eliot Lear, and I are soliciting commentary on the above. 
If accepted by the working group, it will be updated according to 
working group comments and republished as 
draft-ietf-v6ops-renumber-procedure...

The intent of the draft is three-fold. First, if I was a network 
operator and someone told me to renumber my network, any suggestions as 
to how to do so would be welcome. This document is intended to propose a 
first draft of that procedure, to be seasoned to taste and employed by 
the network operator faced with that task.

Second, there is a bit of a debate in the community on the topic of 
renumbering, with some saying "solved problem" and others saying "my 
worst nightmare". Reality is almost assuredly somewhere in between: 
there are operational aspects of this which not technological and are 
far from being solved problems, and aspects where IPv6 technologies do 
in fact make a problem that is *really* hard in IPv4 a little easier. In 
this sense, the document is intended to help each side of that debate 
understand the viewpoint of the other and hopefully produce a better 
discussion.

Something that is sure to come out of the discussion is a set of action 
items for various vendors and various working groups. Pekka's document 
on proposals to improve ingress filtering is an example of such an 
effort. It doesn't have anything to do with renumbering, but points out 
issues that renumbering exacerbates, and suggests approaches to dealing 
with them. One could imagine similar lessons learned - and potentially, 
protocols or procedures improved - for other IPv6-related protocols or 
operational procedures.

I will be giving a breif talk on the topic, and then we will go to open 
discussion, with the authors in the room. Constructive comments on the 
document, especially if they include proposed text, are welcome, and 
should be sent to the list.

-- 
/=====================================================================/
  |     Fred Baker                 |        1121 Via Del Rey          |
  |     Cisco Fellow               |        Santa Barbara, California |
  +--------------------------------+        93117 USA                 |
  | Nothing will ever be attempted,| phone: +1-408-526-4257           |
  | if all possible objections must| fax:   +1-413-473-2403           |
  | be first overcome.             | mobile:+1-805-637-0529           |
  |     Dr. Johnson, Rasselas, 1759|                                  |
/=====================================================================/