Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-durand-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:50:41 +0200

> 4.2. Service Discovery
> 
>    In order to offer "plug & play", the non-authenticated mode needs to
>    discover the address of the server that will provide the tunnel
>    connectivity. This discovery must be automatic within an ISP network.

I wonder about this. Users are accustomed to entering a few magic numbers into
diallers to get a connection. For ADSL, I have to enter "p8,35" -- I have
no idea why (please don't tell me) but it really isn't a problem in my
life. If this requirement causes a lot of complexity, I would drop it.

> 7.3 ISATAP
> 
>    Similar considerations as Teredo, section 7.2, applies to Isatap.
>    However, as Isatap can not work accross NAT, it is of much less
>    interest in the framework of this document.

Perhaps you should say the same thing about 6to4.

   Brian

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:42:07 -0700

> life. If this requirement causes a lot of complexity, I would drop it.

We had a number of discussions on the usefulness of the non 
authenticated mode.
Somehow, the rationale is that it enables scenarios where the user 
doesn't even
know that IPv6 is being used, and everything is triggered by the 
applications.
This won't work if the user had to enter some 'magic numbers' to get a 
connection.
However, for the authenticated mode, this is a different story.

> Perhaps you should say the same thing about 6to4.

Good point.

	- Alain.