Subject: ISATAP (Was RE: DSTM)

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:34:08 -0700

> I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment for ISATAP (though I have not
> found a use for it in my own deployment environment).

For the record, we are using ISATAP as the default IPv6 connectivity on
the Microsoft campus, enabling every computer in our network to get IPv6
connectivity. It is particularly useful in those buildings where native
IPv6 routers have not yet been deployed.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:39:50 +0100

> IPv6 routers have not yet been deployed.

I think that is a very valid scenario, as is Karen's.

Our own site deployment has been achieved by using VLANs (I'll update my
draft on this) and we found that we can tag many different VLANs on routed
packets for a single interface on a BSD router.   We then split the real 
interfaces (and routers) as and when v6 traffic grows.   This leaves us
with congruent IPv4/IPv6 subnets/links and IPv6 on the wire everywhere.

This is the common method used by universities in the 6NET project, and I
suspect elsewhere, until capable L2/L3 equipment emerges from Cisco/etc.

Tim

---

From: Fred Templin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:54:47 -0700

Christian,

>IPv6 routers have not yet been deployed.

Are you using ISATAP to carry all IPv6 traffic, or just
the control plane messages for tunnel setup?

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:34:55 +0900

> IPv6 routers have not yet been deployed.

Just reference. We are using a DHCP for enabling 
IPv6 connectivity in our IPv4 offices with simple option. 

Regards.

- Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
- Mobile Platform Lab. Samsung Electronics.

---

From: Gert Doering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:40:32 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 05:39:50PM +0100, Tim Chown wrote:
> [VLAN method using dedicated v6 VLAN router to get v6 on every wire]
> 

Same here (ISP environment) for the hosting customers with v6 
connectivity.

IPv4 connectivity is provided by "fast" L3 switches with no v6 support.  
v6 is routed over an old Cisco 4700 with v6+VLAN trunking, easily fast enough
for now, and no "client transition methods" needed.  Very convenient for
the machines, and easy to debug.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
-- 
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  60210  (58081)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: [email-masked]
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299