Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-03.txt

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:30:26 -0400

WG,

Chairs asked me to send this note to you. Updated spec below. First
error below I am just the editor see authors in the spec.  What we did
and I as editor is took 100% Alain's and Pekka's input as best we could
for additional clarity.  But, in section 4 we put additional note that
this section is more of an overview that the reader must look at as
components and all the components would fill up many pages (as all
scenarios) and more of that is analysis as opposed to defining a
scenario, and analysis is the next step.  We also added normative
references we felt were applicable to the spec that exist and talk about
the general subject (e.g. DNS, Applications).  I as one author may not
be able to respond to mail this week as I am abroad in Europe, but will
do my best.  

Regards,
/jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 3:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the
IETF.

	Title		: IPv6 Enterprise Network Scenarios
	Author(s)	: J. Bound
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-03.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2004-6-28
	
This document describes the scenarios for IPv6 deployment within
Enterprise networks.  It will focus upon an Enterprise set of network
base scenarios with assumptions, coexistence with legacy IPv4 nodes,
networks, and applications, and network infrastructure requirements.
These requirements will be used to provide analysis to determine a set
of Enterprise solutions in a later document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-03.tx
t

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:01:08 +0300

Hi,

if nobody cries very loudly within ca. 24 hours. This is going to the
IESG.

Cheers,

Jonne.

-- 
Jonne Soininen
Nokia

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:03:46 +0300 (EEST)

> if nobody cries very loudly within ca. 24 hours. This is going to the

I don't think this addresses my personal comments.  The most important 
of them, an applicability statement about a security defence network 
(supported by Richard Graveman at least), hasn't been included.

There are also some others which I'm not sure why they weren't 
included, I think Yanick's reply on the list OK'ed some of them.

BTW, wrt. Margaret's comment, there are no too long lines in the 
draft, but some lines have been wrapped due to being too long (that's 
what she was referring to, I think), and should be fixed.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:02:39 -0400

Hi Pekka,

>(supported by Richard Graveman at least), hasn't been included.

I apologize, but I think I missed what you suggested for an 
applicability statement for the Security Defense network...  Could 
you summarize?

I believe that this scenario is an interesting and important scenario 
to explore.  How will people who are running highly secure/mobile 
networks today transition to IPv6?

I do not want us to head down a rat hole of defining how things could 
be done in IPv6 that cannot be done in IPv4 today, but if you have a 
secure, highly mobile IPv4 network today (and some enterprises do, 
particularly in the defense space), I do think it is interesting and 
important to talk about how to deploy IPv6 into that type of network 
without compromising security or mobility for IPv4, IPv6 or 
dual-stack nodes.

At least within the U.S. Department of Defense there has been some 
resistance to deploying IPv6 on "operational" networks, because of 
uncertainty about the security implications of doing so.  It would be 
good for us to explore those implications, dispell any myths, and 
close any holes that do exist.

Margaret