Subject: RE: Moving forward

From: "Soliman Hesham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 01:50:30 -0400

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Soliman Hesham wrote:
 > > FWIW, there was unanymous concensus in the Seoul meeting
 > > to standardise all mechanisms being considered at the moment
 > 
 > Nope -- I don't recall anything like that.  Could you elaborate using
 > the minutes when you believe that kind of consensus was achieved or
 > even asked.

=> Hmmm, After your presentation which included an analysis
of all current proposals (it was divided in some way that 
I never quite understood), you and Jonne asked the group
if there were any objections to moving forward with any
of the mechanisms and no one objected. I recall this very
clearly. I didn't read the minutes after the meeting but 
I was there. I believe this was in the first session.

Hesham

===========================================================
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.
===========================================================

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 12:26:09 +0300 (EEST)

> I was there. I believe this was in the first session.

If this was in the first session, there was an attempt to divide the 
mechanisms to 'opportunistic' and 'zero-configured'.  From the 
minutes:

====
Consensus call (raising hands):
   1) Is opportunistic tunneling needed => many hands; a few hands 
against.
   2) Is zeroconf tunnel needed to be standardized => many hands; 
nobody against.

=> Consensus: both are needed and will be standardized.
====

This is was *NOT* consensus that all the mechanisms be standardized as
you seem to have understood, but only that there must be a
standardized mechanism representing both classes of solutions for
which there was consensus.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings