Subject: Teredo for Standards Track in Unman scenarios?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:26:25 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

(co-chair hat on)

(There was already rough consensus in May 2004, but let's do this in a
slightly more formal manner.)

In draft-ietf-v6ops-unmaneval-03.txt we found that we need
draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-02.txt (Teredo) to have an automatic
tunneling mechanism with NAT traversal.

Let me try to summarize the consensus:

1. Problem: for a software vendor to be able to deploy IPv6 on large
scale, irrespective of the IPv6 support (or lack thereof) by the local
ISPs, automatic tunneling mechanisms, optimizing the path between the
IPv6 leaf networks/nodes are needed.  When the gateway cannot be
upgraded to support IPv6, and private addresses are used, a
NAT-traversing mechanism is required.

2. Why this solution: there haven't been other solutions for automatic
tunneling through NATs to be used across the Internet.  Several tunnel
server/broker -like techniques also provide (or could provide)  NAT
traversal, but are insufficient for this problem for large-scale
deployment especially when the local ISPs do not offer IPv6.  Teredo
is implemented and deployed, and there are multiple implementations.

3. Is this ready:  Review has been requested from v6ops participants
in June 2004, and only one review was sent on the list, requiring
minor editing.  Therefore, the document is ready to be progressed for
Standards Track.

If you disagree with these conclusions, please respond within about a
week, by the end of 1st August.

Thanks!

(co-chair hat off)

---

From: "Liu Min" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:34:26 +0800

> Teredo is implemented and deployed, and there are multiple
implementations.

Where can I find the multiple implementation of Teredo? I know an IPv6 stack
that supports Teredo is available with the <Advanced Networking Pack for
Windows XP>. Where can I find the Teredo server and Teredo relay?
 
Best Wishes,

Liu Min
 
Institute of Computing Technology
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Tel: (86-10) 6256 5533-9240 
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:26:38 +0300 (EEST)

> Windows XP>. Where can I find the Teredo server and Teredo relay?

I'd assume some Windows Server would also support server/relay
functionality.  Apart from that.. I've came across two -- I don't know
which version they implement, and which parts they implement; not
having tested any of them personally, I also don't know how they would
interoperate:

http://www-rp.lip6.fr/teredo/
http://www.simphalempin.com/dev/miredo/

HTH

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Vincent Jardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:32:38 +0200

>http://www.simphalempin.com/dev/miredo/
FYI, both interoperate. The main difference is based on the implementation:
  - the LIP6/6WIND Teredo implementation is using a Kernel 
implementation (BSD license)
  - Miredo is using a user land implementation (GPL license)

They implement the Relay and Server part.

The latest and non-stable releases are available thru the same CVS server:
  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/teredo/

Regards,
  Vincent