Subject: Re: mech-v2-05rc

From: Alex Conta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 02:31:58 -0400

As a recap, the problem we're working to fix is the text change that was 
introduced in "draft-...05", which was giving "addresses" the role of 
tunnel endpoints.

I am trying to bring the definition in line with the architectural 
concepts/definition, and restore consistency:

- addresses are identifiers of nodes/interfaces
- nodes/interfaces are endpoints of ptop links.

So, the text lastly suggested restores the role of identifiers to 
"addresses".

Please see further in line:

Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Karen E. Nielsen (AH/TED) wrote:
> 
>>I agree that your text, Alex, may be more fluently to read.
>>My English, however, isn't really adequate for wordsmithing, and 
>>(perhaps for that very reason) I see no reasons to change the long text.
> 
> 
> To be fair, I think Alex was suggesting changing the current text in 
> the similar way as he proposed changing the original text, so, like:
> 
> IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling where the IPv4 tunnel endpoint address(es)
> are determined by configuration information on tunnel endpoints. All
> tunnels are assumed to be bidirectional. At the IPv6 layer the tunnel
> provides a (virtual) point-to-point link, the lower layer endpoints of
> which are the configured IPv4 addresses.
> 
> To:
> 
> IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling where the IPv4 tunnel endpoint address(es)
> are determined by configuration information on tunnel endpoints. All
> tunnels are assumed to be bidirectional. At the IPv6 layer the tunnel
> provides a (virtual) point-to-point link, using IPv4 addresses of the
> endpoints as lower layer addresses.
> 
> , which I was arguing against (without knowing the specific proposal),
> because it would not clearly specify that there are just two endpoint
> v4 addresses per tunnel.
> 

This can be resolved by:

IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling where the IPv4 tunnel endpoint address(es)
are determined by configuration information on tunnel endpoints. All
tunnels are assumed to be bidirectional. At the IPv6 layer the tunnel 
provides a (virtual) point-to-point link, using a pair of an IPv4 
address of each of the endpoints as lower layer addresses.

or,

IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling where the IPv4 tunnel endpoint address(es)
are determined by configuration information on tunnel endpoints. All
tunnels are assumed to be bidirectional. At the IPv6 layer the tunnel 
provides a (virtual) point-to-point link, using a pair of IPv4 addresses 
of each of the endpoints as lower layer addresses.

Regards,
Alex