Subject: RE: ISATAP scenario

From: "Karen E. Nielsen (AH/TED)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:34:32 +0200

Pekka,

> > 
> > Ok, aggressive question then:
> > 
> > Why run down the analysis/requirements/solutions road again, when we
> > have a running solution at hand that _is_ (was) already present in
> > vendors software and that probably just needs a little bit more
> > finetuning?
> 
> Just my own opinion.. We need to figure out what makes the most
> overall sense, instead of doing local optimizations.
> 
> ISATAP can be used to solve certain, specific problems in certain
> specific, well-defined (trusted and managed) environments.
> 
> However, that is only a subset of a larger problem space .. one, which
> we *need* a solution for in any case.
> 
> I feel it is better to only have a more generic solution, rather than
> a generic solution *and* a specific solution, unless clearly proven
> that the generic solution would not be work in the specific
> environment.
> 

Nothing prevents this generic solution to provide what is
mandating Teredo right now. Taken literally I
would thus assume that this in your opinion
means that there is no reason to standardize Teredo either :-?

I agree (though) that it is very difficult indeed to draw the line here.

Karen

> "Less is more."
> 
> -- 
> Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
> Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
> Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
> 
>

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:00:53 +0300 (EEST)

> I agree (though) that it is very difficult indeed to draw the line here.

Teredo addresses an entirely different problem space, that is, when
your own ISP does not want to provide any IPv6 support.  That calls
for a different kind of approach than when you have would expect the
ISP, enterprise, 3GPP, or whoever to want to support v6 somehow (but
for some reason, cannot do that natively).

I wasn't looking for a solution all the problems in the world
including world hunger, just a slightly more generic solution for the
case when the ISP (or equivalent) is willing to provide v6 ;-).  The
solutions the WG or earlier ones has specified or gained consensus so
far (e.g., 6to4, Teredo) are aimed at the case when the ISP doesn't
even know what v6 is :-).