Subject: My slides for v6ops session, 2nd Aug

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 02:25:16 +0100

Hi,

I have made my slides for tonight's session available temporarily at
the following locations:

VLAN usage draft:
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-vlan-usage-01.txt
Slides:
 http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tjc/ietf/vlan-usage-01.pdf
 http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tjc/ietf/vlan-usage-01.ppt

Campus transition draft:
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-campus-transition-00.txt
Slides:
 http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tjc/ietf/campus-transition-00.pdf
 http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~tjc/ietf/campus-transition-00.ppt

Tim

---

From: Mohacsi Janos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:13:14 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Tim,
 	I looked to your slides of campus transition. Unfortunately I 
cannot attend the IETF, but I have some comments:

- Missing components:

 	- NFS with IPv6 is not really missing, except for some
 	systems: NFS over IPv6 do exist on Solaris and *BSD systems.
 	  Samba is another story: There is some patch for Samba 2.2.x, but
 	we have to persuade the Samba developers, since IPv6 for SMB is
 	available with Windows Server 2003.

 	- Apache2 - I think it mostly a distribution problem. I have never
 	found any Apache module, that is useful, not available for
 	Apache2. Blame for distro creator not including Apache2 modules.

 	- dnews - use INN that has IPv6 support and it is free. I know it
 	implies some training costs...

 	- X11 - the situation is so bad. XFree86 4.4 has and X.org
 	6.7 has IPv6 suport. Nevertheless you use X mostly via SSH X
 	forwarding, where no problem of not having IPv6 support directly
 	from X.  I think it is also distribution
 	problem to have only old X (XFree86 4.3, or XFree86 3.0)

Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98