Subject: Document Action: 'Security Considerations for 6to4' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:38:06 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Security Considerations for 6to4 '
   <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-security-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Bert Wijnen.

Technical Summary
 
 The IPv6 interim mechanism 6to4 (RFC3056) uses automatic
 IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling to interconnect IPv6 networks.  The
 architecture includes 6to4 routers and 6to4 relay routers, which
 accept and decapsulate IPv4 protocol-41 ("IPv6-in-IPv4") traffic from
 any node in the IPv4 internet.  This characteristic enables a number
 of security threats, mainly Denial of Service.  It also makes it
 easier for nodes to spoof IPv6 addresses.  This document discusses
 these issues in more detail and suggests enhancements to alleviate
 the problems.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 This document is a product of the v6ops working group
 
Protocol Quality
 
 David Kessens reviewed this document for the IESG