Subject: [v6ops] I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-3177bis-end-sites-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 10:00:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IPv6 Address Assignment to End Sites
	Author(s)       : T. Narten, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-v6ops-3177bis-end-sites-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2011-01-03

RFC 3177 argued that in IPv6, end sites should be assigned /48 blocks
in most cases. The Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) adopted that
recommendation in 2002, but began reconsidering the policy in 2005.
This document obsoletes the RFC 3177 recommendations on the
assignment of IPv6 address space to end sites.  The exact choice of
how much address space to assign end sites is an issue for the
operational community. The IETF's role in this case is limited to
providing guidance on IPv6 architectural and operational
considerations. This document reviews the architectural and
operational considerations of end site assignments as well as the
motivations behind the original 3177 recommendations. Moreover, the
document clarifies that a one-size-fits-all recommendation of /48 is
not nuanced enough for the broad range of end sites and is no longer
recommended as a single default.

This document obsoletes RFC 3177.
Contents

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-3177bis-end-sites-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.