Subject: [v6ops] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:45:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An Incremental Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) for IPv6 Transition
	Author(s)	: S. Jiang, B. Carpenter, D. Guo
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-03.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2011-1-4
	
Global IPv6 deployment was slower than originally expected. As IPv4 
   address exhaustion approaches, IPv4 to IPv6 transition issues become 
   more critical and less tractable. Host-based transition mechanisms 
   used in dual stack environments cannot meet all transition 
   requirements. Most end users are not sufficiently expert to configure 
   or maintain host-based transition mechanisms. Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) 
   devices with integrated transition mechanisms can reduce the 
   operational changes required during the IPv4 to IPv6 migration or 
   coexistence period. 

   This document proposes an incremental CGN approach for IPv6 
   transition. It can provide IPv6 access services for IPv6 hosts and 
   IPv4 access services for IPv4 hosts, while leaving much of a legacy 
   ISP network unchanged during the initial stage of IPv4 to IPv6 
   migration. Unlike CGN alone, incremental CGN also supports and 
   encourages smooth transition towards dual-stack or IPv6-only ISP 
   networks. An integrated configurable CGN device and an adaptive Home 
   Gateway (HG) device are described. Both are re-usable during 
   different transition phases, avoiding multiple upgrades. This enables 
   IPv6 migration to be incrementally achieved according to real user 
   requirements.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.