Subject: [v6ops] Soliciting feedback on draft-livingood-dns-whitelisting-implications

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:28:39 +0100

Dear Jason,

section "7.1 Architectural Implications" should at least
contain a hint that with DNS-Whitelisting from an ISP perspective
the usage of the Dual-Stack approach as defined in section 2 of
RFC4177 as "the most straightforward way for IPv6 nodes to remain
compatible with IPv4-only nodes" is only very limited applicable:

1. ISP have to provide different DNS resolver for different customer groups
   (e.g. IPv4-only customers and Dual-Stack customers/IPv6-only customers),
2. During the dial-in process the membership of an access device/customer
   to the above mentioned groups has to be identified und depending
   on the result the DNS resolver addresses (IPv4) has to be provisioned.
3. To meet these requirements a lot of finalized standards has to be reviewed
   and maybe revised.

All this would lead to additional delay and effort for introducing IPv6.

Kind regards

Karsten

Karsten Fleischhauer

Deutsche Telekom Netzproduktion GmbH

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:15:41 +0000

Hi Karsten and thanks for your review!

I think you mean RFC 4213, which I will made a reference to in Section 7.1.  If I have gotten that wrong, please say so. What I propose adding to 7.1 is the following:

//start//
Also, it is possible that DNS whitelisting could affect some of the architectural assumptions which underlie parts of Section 2 of [RFC4213]<http://xml.resource.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi#RFC4213> which outlines the dual stack approach to the IPv6 transition. DNS whitelisting could modify the behavior of the DNS, as described in Section 2.2 of [RFC4213]<http://xml.resource.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi#RFC4213> and could require different sets of DNS servers to be used for hosts that are (using terms from that document) IPv6/IPv4 nodes, IPv4-only nodes, and IPv6-only nodes. As such, broad use of DNS whitelisting may necessitate the review and/or revision of standards documents which describe dual-stack and IPv6 operating modes, dual-stack architecture generally, and IPv6 transition methods, including but not limited to [RFC4213]<http://xml.resource.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi#RFC4213>.
//end//

I'll incorporate your suggestions into a -03 version shortly, unless you wish to see changes to what I proposed.

Thanks
Jason

On 2/21/11 10:28 AM, "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>"
<[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Dear Jason,

1. ISP have to provide different DNS resolver for different customer
groups
   (e.g. IPv4-only customers and Dual-Stack customers/IPv6-only
customers),
2. During the dial-in process the membership of an access device/customer
   to the above mentioned groups has to be identified und depending
   on the result the DNS resolver addresses (IPv4) has to be provisioned.
3. To meet these requirements a lot of finalized standards has to be
reviewed
   and maybe revised.

Kind regards

Karsten

Karsten Fleischhauer

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:35:42 +0100

Dear Jason,

thank you very much for the correction. Of course RFC 4213 is the Dual-Stack architecture reference.
The text proposal looks fine for us.

Best

KARSTEN

________________________________
Von: Livingood, Jason [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Montag, 21. Februar 2011 19:16
An: Fleischhauer, Karsten; [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [v6ops] Soliciting feedback on draft-livingood-dns-whitelisting-implications

//start//

Thanks
Jason

Dear Jason,

Kind regards

Karsten

Karsten Fleischhauer

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 04:24:09 +0000

Cool. This text will then appear in the –03 update, which I will post soon.

Thanks!
Jason

On 2/22/11 12:35 PM, "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Dear Jason,

Best

KARSTEN

An: Fleischhauer, Karsten; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

//start//

Thanks
Jason

Dear Jason,

Kind regards

Karsten

Karsten Fleischhauer

Deutsche Telekom Netzproduktion GmbH
_______________________________________________ v6ops mailing list [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops