Subject: [v6ops] RFC 6104 on Rogue IPv6 Router Advertisement Problem Statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:59:50 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6104

        Title:      Rogue IPv6 Router Advertisement Problem 
                    Statement 
        Author:     T. Chown, S. Venaas
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 36518
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-rogue-ra-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6104.txt

When deploying IPv6, whether IPv6-only or dual-stack, routers are
configured to send IPv6 Router Advertisements (RAs) to convey
information to nodes that enable them to autoconfigure on the
network.  This information includes the implied default router
address taken from the observed source address of the RA message, as
well as on-link prefix information.  However, unintended
misconfigurations by users or administrators, or possibly malicious
attacks on the network, may lead to bogus RAs being present, which in
turn can cause operational problems for hosts on the network.  In
this document, we summarise the scenarios in which rogue RAs may be
observed and present a list of possible solutions to the problem.  We
focus on the unintended causes of rogue RAs in the text.  The goal of
this text is to be Informational, and as such to present a framework
around which solutions can be proposed and discussed.  This document 
is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC