Subject: Re: [v6ops] 6to4 historic text.

From: "George, Wes E [NTK]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 00:10:42 +0000

Ole - 

Two places I would recommend text:

Introduction - 

I'd recommend removing references to draft-carpenter (and possibly draft-kuarsingh) here and leave just in section 4

(add to the end) - Since there are existing implementations in use today, this draft makes recommendations on how to best wind down
support for the service without significant impact to implementations that are currently serving as adequate IPv6 connectivity for
their users.

Section 4, recommendations for operators - 

While this document has explained many reasons why 6to4 is not deployed widely and should not continue to be deployed further, the
reality is that there are still many devices and users who are actively using 6to4 as a means to pass IPv6 traffic. This is
evidenced by the non-trival load on the currently deployed 6to4 relays. For this reason, operators MUST NOT view this document as a
recommendation to immediately shut down their existing 6to4 relays. Rather, in order to limit additional end-user impact and ensure
an orderly wind-down of 6to4 usage, operators SHOULD retain their existing relays, and follow the recommendations found in
[draft-carpenter]. It is quite likely that the combination of additional deployment of native IPv6 support in many networks and the
elimination of support in hosts will begin a dramatic reduction in 6to4's use, but the timeframe is uncertain. This draft does not
recommend a specific cutoff point where shutting down 6to4 relays is appropriate. Rather, this will be up to each relay operator to
determine. 

Section 5 - Should we recommend something about not advertising capability for IPv6 if the device is trying to do internet
connection sharing or serving as a router? I would think that it would be important to cover this as a way to reduce the deployment
in the case of IPv6-capable hosts in a network that is configured to use (or try to use) 6to4.

Thanks, 
Wes George

-----Original Message-----
From: Ole Troan [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ole Troan
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:18 PM
To: George, Wes E [NTK]
Subject: 6to4 historic text.

Wes,

just a reminder for your todo box for some text. ;-)

cheers,
Ole