Subject: [v6ops] RFC 6264 on An Incremental Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) for IPv6 Transition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:50:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6264

        Title:      An Incremental Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) 
                    for IPv6 Transition 
        Author:     S. Jiang, D. Guo,
                    B. Carpenter
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 31881
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6264.txt

Global IPv6 deployment was slower than originally expected.  As IPv4
address exhaustion approaches, IPv4 to IPv6 transition issues become
more critical and less tractable.  Host-based transition mechanisms
used in dual-stack environments cannot meet all transition
requirements.  Most end users are not sufficiently expert to configure
or maintain host-based transition mechanisms.  Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN)
devices with integrated transition mechanisms can reduce the
operational changes required during the IPv4 to IPv6 migration or
coexistence period.

This document proposes an incremental CGN approach for IPv6
transition.  It can provide IPv6 access services for IPv6 hosts and
IPv4 access services for IPv4 hosts while leaving much of a legacy
ISP network unchanged during the initial stage of IPv4 to IPv6
migration.  Unlike CGN alone, incremental CGN also supports and
encourages smooth transition towards dual-stack or IPv6-only ISP
networks.  An integrated configurable CGN device and an adaptive home
gateway (HG) device are described.  Both are reusable during
different transition phases, avoiding multiple upgrades.  This enables
IPv6 migration to be incrementally achieved according to real user
requirements.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC