Subject: [v6ops] RFC 6324 on Routing Loop Attack Using IPv6 Automatic Tunnels: Problem Statement and Proposed Mitigations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:04:28 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6324

        Title:      Routing Loop Attack Using IPv6 
                    Automatic Tunnels: Problem Statement and Proposed 
                    Mitigations 
        Author:     G. Nakibly, F. Templin
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 47385
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-tunnel-loops-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6324.txt

This document is concerned with security vulnerabilities in IPv6-in-
IPv4 automatic tunnels.  These vulnerabilities allow an attacker to
take advantage of inconsistencies between the IPv4 routing state and
the IPv6 routing state.  The attack forms a routing loop that can be
abused as a vehicle for traffic amplification to facilitate denial-
of-service (DoS) attacks.  The first aim of this document is to
inform on this attack and its root causes.  The second aim is to
present some possible mitigation measures.  It should be noted that
at the time of this writing there are no known reports of malicious
attacks exploiting these vulnerabilities.  Nonetheless, these
vulnerabilities can be activated by accidental misconfiguration.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC