Subject: [v6ops] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-mawatari-v6ops-464xlat-00.txt

From: MAWATARI Masataka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:51:18 +0900

Dear v6ops,

I am Masataka Mawatari from JPIX.

We had submitted a draft that describes an architecture and our
experience for providing IPv4 connectivity across IPv6 network by
combining stateful protocol translation RFC 6146 in network and
stateless protocol translation RFC 6145 at CPE.

This architecture in the draft is called "464XLAT".

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mawatari-v6ops-464xlat-00

We believe the 464XLAT informational draft fits with #1 and #4 in the
v6ops charter for identifying solutions that promote the ability of
network operators to deploy IPv6 and integrate with the IPv4/IPv6
internet.
The 464XLAT architecture uses standards created in BEHAVE WG.  We
believe this draft best fits with v6ops WG since it outlines a proven
and deployed architecture that leverages existing standards for
solving the IP number problem by better enabling IPv6-only networks
to meet the needs of operators (cost, simplicity, time to market...)
and subscribers (it just works ...).

T-Mobile USA has been operating a beta IPv6-only NAT64/DNS64 network
for nearly 2 years now, and on that trial network (which is full
production in SF Bay, and will be national full production by end of
Q1) the need for 464XLAT emerged to overcome the issue of IPv4-only
applications and IPv4 referrals.  The T-Mobile USA users solved the
problem themselves by coding a stateless translation application on
the Nokia N900: http://code.google.com/p/n900ipv6/wiki/Nat64D

JPIX (Japan Internet Exchange) has been providing 464XLAT trial
service for JPIX members since July 2010 to deploy IPv6 access
service in wireline networks.  Especially small-medium ISPs do
not have a operation resource and much IPv4 address pool to solve
IPv4 address exhaustion in each ISP backbone network so JPIX
proposes to support IPv4 address sharing solution.  We have a CPE
router with stateless translation implemented by NEC AccessTechnica.
http://www.apricot.net/apricot2011/media/Masataka_Mawatari_IPv6v4_Exchange_Service_for_sharing_IPv4_address.pdf

From there, it became apparent that the solution was viable both in
wireless and wireline networks.  We are currently in the process of
stewarding the 464XLAT CLAT code via the Android code contribution
process, and we have a working implementation here:
http://code.google.com/p/android-clat/

We believe our draft creates a reasonable solution for the problem
statement created in draft-arkko-ipv6-only-experience.

We are seeking the groups feedback on if this draft should be a
working group item that would benefit from working group review and
refinement to better extend and repeat what has already been achieved
with 464XLAT.

Kind Regards,
Masataka MAWATARI

Subject: New Version Notification for draft-mawatari-v6ops-464xlat-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 07:12:04 -0800

A new version of I-D, draft-mawatari-v6ops-464xlat-00.txt has been successfully submitted by Masanobu Kawashima and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-mawatari-v6ops-464xlat
Revision:	 00
Title:		 464XLAT: Combination of Stateful and Stateless Translation
Creation date:	 2012-01-15
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 14

Abstract:
   This document describes an architecture (464XLAT) for providing IPv4
   connectivity across an IPv6-only network by combining existing and
   well-known stateful protocol translation RFC 6146 and stateless
   protocol translation RFC 6145. 464XLAT is a simple and scalable
   technique to quickly deploy IPv4 access service to mobile and
   wireline IPv6-only networks without encapsulation.

The IETF Secretariat