Subject: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-wireline-incremental-ipv6-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:40:13 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Wireline Incremental IPv6
	Author(s)       : Victor Kuarsingh
                          Lee Howard
	Filename        : draft-ietf-v6ops-wireline-incremental-ipv6-01.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2012-02-01

   Operators worldwide are in various stages of preparing for, or
   deploying IPv6 into their networks.  The operators often face
   difficult challenges related to both IPv6 introduction along with
   those related to IPv4 run out.  Operators will need to meet the
   simultaneous needs of IPv6 connectivity and continue support for IPv4
   connectivity for legacy devices with a depleting supply of IPv4
   addresses.  The IPv6 transition will take most networks from an IPv4-
   only environment to an IPv6 focused environment with long period of
   dual stack operation varying by operator.  This document helps
   provide a framework for Wireline providers who are faced with the
   challenges of introducing IPv6 along meeting the legacy needs of IPv4
   connectivity utilizing well defined and commercially available IPv6
   transition technologies.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-wireline-incremental-ipv6-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-wireline-incremental-ipv6-01.txt

---

From: Victor Kuarsingh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:52:38 -0500

V6OPS WG,

An update has been posted which rolled up comments made to date.  This
version reflects the following:

- Focus on IPv6 enablement and deployment progression
- Tone around IPv4 has been muted somewhat in that it's noted, but again -
focus on IPv6
- Less focus on text around "IPv6 code immaturity" as it did not sit well
with many - focus here is on operational experience in IPv6 and lack of
maturity in operation networks

Points still in debate and/or require more discussion

- Test describing and including technologies outside of Dual Stack,
DS-Lite and 6RD.  Some have noted that inclusion of NAT46 (with relation
to NAT64) should be included.  Example would be
draft-mawatari-v6ops-464xlat-00.
- Regarding the above, we had originally intended to only include a set of
technologies which have commercial availability.  Would discussion of the
above be worth describing in document? (as actual text and/or just minor
reference?)

I will be looking for comments which support (or challenge) updates on the
recent -01 post, and the matter of including NAT46/NAT464 (as referenced
above).

Future update will include more information in the considerations portion
of the document as I have much input from folks who have deployment
experience information for some areas.

Regards,

Victor K

On 12-02-01 8:40 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories. This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working
>Group of the IETF.
>
>_______________________________________________
>v6ops mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops