Subject: [v6ops] Updated Feedback on Wireline Incremental IPv6

From: Victor Kuarsingh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:47:36 -0500

V6ops team,

A new version of "draft-ietf-v6ops-wireline-incremental-ipv6-01" has been
posted including feedback from the group.  This version has some textual
improvements and has made the following changes.

1. We have removed some language which focused on the IPv4 connectivity
phenomenon (we did not remove all, but some).  The focus of this document is
about IPv6 introduction and evolution.  This is also based on other
discussions such as the Intarea meeting in Taipei (ref -
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/82/intarea.html)
2. The third phase is no longer called tunnelled IPv4, but IPv6-only.  This
phase would include tunnelled mode IPv4 if required (I.e. DS-LITE)
I would like WG feedback if the refined focus (which is based on comments
on/off list) is in line with how the WG thinks this document should proceed.
As well, I would also like feedback on the inclusion/exclusion of the
following technologies in phase 3.

1. NAT64.  Although this mode of operation will be difficult in the
foreseeable future (on it's own) in a Wireline network due to the massive
amounts of iPv4 equipment in the environment, it may be of consideration to
some wireline providers.
2. Also, should we include discussion on 464 xlate
(draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-00) framework/architecture.  Although the document
is focused on "commercially available" technology, it appears that the
technology for the 464 xlate is available (CLAT via some beta code and NAT64
is out there)
I would like to build in comments in the next rev 02.  In that rev, there
will also be additional considerations discussion/information based on some
additional input which is coming now.

Regards,

Victor K