Subject: Re: [v6ops] 6204bis and WAN disappearing

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 13:49:42 -0600

Rajiv and Dan,

Thanks.  Here is the new G-3.

G-3:  The IPv6 CE router MUST NOT forward any IPv6 traffic between

         its LAN interface(s) and its WAN interface until the router has

         successfully completed the IPv6 address and the delegated

         prefix acquisition process.

Hemant

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rajiv Asati (rajiva)
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:58 AM
To: Tore Anderson
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [v6ops] 6204bis and WAN disappearing

I agree. Separately, shouldn't G3 also say prefix acquisition ?

  G-3: The IPv6 CE router MUST NOT forward any IPv6 traffic between its LAN interface(s) and its WAN interface until the router has successfully completed the IPv6 address acquisition process.

Cheers,

Rajiv

Sent from my Phone

On Feb 22, 2012, at 3:25 AM, "Tore Anderson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

	* Dan Wing

	Reading draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis-05, I couldn't determine what the CE router

		should do if, after it acquires an IPv6 prefix from its WAN interface, the

		WAN interface later goes down.  Requirement G-4 in the specification

		(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis-05#section-4.1)

		requires the CE router (immediately?) withdraw the prefix on the LAN

		interface

	Dan,
	
	That's not what G-4 (or G-5) says. It says that if the CE router loses
	its WAN interface (or default route on a still-enabled WAN interface for
	that matter), it needs to withdraw itself as a *default router* for the
	nodes connected to the LAN.
	
	It does *not* say anything about the prefixes/addresses advertised to
	the LAN - they should not be impacted by the WAN interface going down,
	except for the fact that the the DHCPv6-PD lease cannot be renewed,
	which means that the lifetimes of the lease and the addresses themselves
	will eventually reach zero.
	
	-- 
	Tore Anderson
	Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com
	_______________________________________________
	v6ops mailing list
	[email-masked]
	https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops