Subject: [v6ops] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-vanrein-v6ops-6bed4-01.txt

From: Rick van Rein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:21:02 +0000

Hello,

I've updated my I-D for the 6bed4 tunnel.  Please comment;
I would like to present it in Paris if it meets appreciation.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vanrein-v6ops-6bed4/

The focus is on getting peer-to-peer working with IPv6, even on IPv6-only.
To be able to rely on that, a remote peer must be trusted to run IPv6, so
a simple tunnel that works in any environment, even as an add-on to an
application such as a SIP phone, chat tool, ...  None of the current tunnels
has been able to meet those criteria.

Pointwise summary of the protocol:
 * tunnel packs IPv6 into UDP/IPv4, works behind any NAT/firewall sequence
 * obtain an IPv6 address through Router Sol / Router Adv
 * incorporate external IPv4 address and UDP port into the IPv6 address
 * validate packet sender's IPv6 address with the originating UDP/IPv4
 * try direct routes to peers' UDP/IPv4 through Neighbor Sol / Neighbor Adv
 * optionally lookup same-LAN peers through multicast to 224.0.0.1 + UDP port
 * use Redirect to ensure symmetric routes at the lowest cost metric found
 * router finding mechanisms are not specified; use config, DNS, anycast, ...

Thank you all for the feedback on v00, it has really helped me grow a
better protocol.

Cheers,

Rick van Rein
OpenFortress

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:24:48 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-vanrein-v6ops-6bed4-01.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-vanrein-v6ops-6bed4-01.txt has been successfully submitted by Rick van Rein and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-vanrein-v6ops-6bed4
Revision:	 01
Title:		 6bed4: Peer-to-Peer IPv6 on Any Internetwork
Creation date:	 2012-03-11
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 26

Abstract:
   The intention of 6bed4 is to support IPv6-only applications, even on
   IPv4-only networks.  A specific area of concern is that of peer-to-
   peer protocols such as SIP or document exchange during a chat
   session.  Such protocols are designed to run in any environment,
   which means that they cannot rely on IPv6 for themselves, or their
   peers.  The 6bed4 tunnel mechanism ensures that IPv6 can be assumed
   on all peers, without a need to configure it explicitly.

   The 6bed4 mechanism is meant as a fallback mechanism for IPv6
   connectivity on networks that do not support it natively, by running
   a tunnel over UDP and IPv4.  The IPv4 address is used to support
   traceability of the traffic originator, which means that no user
   account or other configuration is needed.

   The tunnel mechanism builds on existing IPv6 mechanisms; it employs
   Stateless Address Autoconfiguration [RFC4862] to setup an IPv6
   address on a 6bed4 Peer, and Neighbor Discovery [RFC4861] to find the
   most direct route to a remote 6bed4 Peer.

The IETF Secretariat

----- End forwarded message -----