Subject: [v6ops] An opion on "auto-transition-selecdtion on CER"

From: Dean cheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:03:11 +0000

I was interested in listening to Mark's presentation today
on the auto-transition-selection on a CER. In fact, I always
preferred to code my router behavior with maximum
capability of automation whenever possible.

But in this case, I'm not sure whether it is practical to
do so on a CER on its WAN link.

First of all, the CER that I'd purchase would need to support
multiple traffic forwarding behavior including more than one
of native IPv4, native IPv6, 6rd, DS-Lite, etc., and further, when
I decide to subscribe the right Internet connection at
home with AT&T (currently with IPv4, but may be able
to pick 6rd, IPv4-IPv6 dual-stack, IPv6 only, etc. at a later time),
I will always need to communicate with AT&T customer
services to purchase one so my choice is always known to me
that can just be configured on my CER, which really needs just
do what it is told.

At BBF, the IPv6 transition document (WT-242, currently
a straw ballot) has a requirement on this and it says:

R-7:
The RG MUST be configurable to independently
enable or disable native IPv4, native IPv6, DS-Lite,
and 6rd via manual configuration or via TR-69.

I think the configuration method is simple and will do
the job just fine.

Cheers
Dean