Subject: [v6ops] Heads up: 6man poll for adoption of RA-Guard/firewalling/monitoring-related I-Ds

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:42:50 -0300

Folks,

Just wanted to send a heads up regarding two 6man wg polls that have
just been started for adoption of these documents:

* draft-gont-6man-oversized-header-chain-02 (Security and
Interoperability Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains)

* draft-gont-6man-nd-extension-headers-03 (Security Implications of the
Use of IPv6 Extension Headers with IPv6 Neighbor Discovery)

draft-gont-6man-oversized-header-chain-02 requires that when packets are
fragmented, the first fragment must contain the entire IPv6 header
chain. This is important for a number of reasons: it allows for
stateless filtering (both at firewalls and at RA-Guard-like devices),
prevents stateless translators from breaking, etc.

draft-gont-6man-nd-extension-headers-03 forbids the use of fragmentation
with Neighbor Discovery. This essentially enables Neighbor Discovery
monitoring in IPv6, thus providing feature parity with IPv4 (think about
arpwatch and the like) -- not to mention that it obviously mitigates
fragmentation-based attacks against Neighbor Discovery and SEND.

IMO, these two I-Ds propose small spec updates which could result in
concrete operational and security benefits.

Thanks!

Best regards,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492