Subject: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis-09.txt> (Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:49:57 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document:
- 'Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis-09.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-07-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies requirements for an IPv6 Customer Edge (CE)
   router.  Specifically, the current version of this document focuses
   on the basic provisioning of an IPv6 CE router and the provisioning
   of IPv6 hosts attached to it.  The document also covers IP transition
   technologies.  Two transition technologies in RFC 5969's 6rd and RFC
   6333's DS-Lite are covered in the document.  The document obsoletes
   RFC 6204, if approved.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:53:38 -1000

>   <draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis-09.txt> as Informational RFC

this document persists in confusing routing and forwarding.

there are no routing protocols, a la 1812, here.  there is confused text
such as

4.1.  General Requirements

   The IPv6 CE router is responsible for implementing IPv6 routing; that
   is, the IPv6 CE router must look up the IPv6 destination address in
   its routing table to decide to which interface it should send the
   packet.

which i thought was forwarding, not routing.

RA/RD doeth not a router make.

randy

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:30:51 +1000

> which i thought was forwarding, not routing.

It's static routing.  And if there is down stream PD there will be
next hop routers as well as interfaces in the table.

> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]