Subject: [v6ops] "RE: goals of draft-zhang-v6ops-ipv6oa-iwf-00.txt "

From: Jiexin Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:10:27 +0800

Thanks for the question from J.s. There are some  answers to J.s
about  goals of draft-zhang-v6ops-ipv6oa-iwf-00.txt "  as following:
- If it is simply an IPv6 router, than I believe there is no problem
  with connecting an ATM network to an Ethernet network.
A: What we defined in the draft isn’t an IPv6 router ,but some kind of
layer 2 node, such as an ATM node with IPoA IWF function, which is
still widely used in Chinatelecom ATM network.

- If the "Interworking Function" is not an IP layer function, then (a)
  where is it defined how such an "Interworking Function" works and
  (b) why should the working group focusing primarily on IPv6
  operational and deployment issues worry about this?
A:
（a）The IPv6oA IWF function will lie in an ATM node, just like IPoA IWF
in ATM node as in IPv4 age，which will make it come true the
interworking between ATM and IPv6 in an ATM node。
（b）Because there are still a large scale layer 2 network in
chinatelcom in the progress of IP-nalization, such as ATM network ,and
SDH also. There are also  many interworking demands between the layer
2 network and IP network. With the IP network fast migration to IPv6,
those interworking demands are remain for the sake of investment save.

    Best RGDS.
J.X.