Subject: Re: [v6ops] new version of IPv6 rDNS for ISPs

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:23:44 +0900

On 26 November 2012 12:13, Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Arturo Servin wrote:
>
>>         The "problem" with WHOIS is not scalability. It is that it does
>> not contain information about single IP addresses. The granularity just goes
>> to some level of allocation from ISPs to other entities.
>
>
> It depends on what problem you're trying to solve. If you want to convey
> "ip-w-x-y-z.isp.net", because people want to get an idea what ISP you're
> using, then you don't need individualism.

Ingrained in my fingers now is the idea that the quickest way for me
to get some concept of the origin of an IP address was to do a
traceroute[6] to it without the -n flag.  Even if the host doesn't
have a PTR itself most ISPs do have records for some parts of their
infrastructure, which is often sufficient.

+1 to the "autogenerate PTRs according to format '%foo'" feature;
seems handy.  It's something I've been wanting to get around to myself
for a while now.  (For that matter, I think DNS servers could
autogenerate AAAAs for ip6.arpa names and As for in-addr.arpa names as
well.  :-)

-----

With respect to the draft, I think section 2.1 seems mislabeled.  "No
response" sounds like it's describing a "drop the query" approach,
when really it's more like "non-existent domainname" (as the error
name implies :).

Also, you might note that applications that do these kinds of lookups
may cache the NXDOMAINs differently from affirmative answers,
depending on the SOA values.  If a provider is seeing a high number of
such lookups from the same (not-deliberately-abusive) source it may
want to consider adjusting the NACK timing or just providing some more
cacheable answer.  But I have no idea what that kind of traffic looks
like to an ISP, and it's probably not a big problem.