Subject: [v6ops] FW: ISATAP Operational Guidance

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 15:39:36 +0000

Hello,

There are millions of hosts in operational deployment today with
ISATAP enabled by default. Those hosts try to enable ISATAP when
there is no native IPv6 available, but administrative action is
required to activate the service within the site.

RFC 6964 now provides "Operational Guidance for IPv6 Deployment in
IPv4 Sites Using the Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol
(ISATAP)" (see below). It takes no position on whether the service
should be activated, but provides guidance to administrators who
are considering its use. The document is therefore offered to the
community as an informational resource.

Fred
[email-masked] 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 2:08 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 6964 on Operational Guidance for IPv6 Deployment in IPv4 Sites Using the Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6964

        Title:      Operational Guidance for IPv6 Deployment 
                    in IPv4 Sites Using the Intra-Site 
                    Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP) 
        Author:     F. Templin
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       May 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 49568
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-templin-v6ops-isops-19.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6964.txt

Many end-user sites in the Internet today still have predominantly
IPv4 internal infrastructures.  These sites range in size from small
home/office networks to large corporate enterprise networks, but
share the commonality that IPv4 provides satisfactory internal
routing and addressing services for most applications.  As more and
more IPv6-only services are deployed, however, end-user devices
within such sites will increasingly require at least basic IPv6
functionality.  This document therefore provides operational guidance
for deployment of IPv6 within predominantly IPv4 sites using the
Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP).

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC