Subject: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-02.txt> (Observations on the Dropping of Packets with IPv6 Extension Headers in the Real World) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:10:41 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document:
- 'Observations on the Dropping of Packets with IPv6 Extension Headers in
   the Real World'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-02.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-02-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document presents real-world data regarding the extent to which
   packets with IPv6 extension headers are dropped in the Internet (as
   originally measured in August 2014 and later in June 2015, with
   similar results), and where in the network such dropping occurs.  The
   aforementioned results serve as a problem statement that is expected
   to trigger operational advice on the filtering of IPv6 packets
   carrying IPv6 Extension Headers, so that the situation improves over
   time.  This document also explains how the aforementioned results
   were obtained, such that the corresponding measurements can be
   reproduced by other members of the community and repeated over time
   to observe changes in the handling of packets with IPv6 extension
   headers.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.