Subject: [v6ops] Document Action: 'Observations on the Dropping of Packets with IPv6 Extension Headers in the Real World' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:16:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Observations on the Dropping of Packets with IPv6 Extension Headers in
   the Real World'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-02.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world/

Technical Summary

  This document presents real-world data regarding the extent to which
   packets with IPv6 extension headers are dropped in the Internet (as
   originally measured in August 2014 and later in June 2015, with
   similar results), and where in the network such dropping occurs

  The  document is an informational draft, intended it to solicit 
  operational advice on treatment of packets with EH.

Working Group Summary

Interest level has varied; related work was presented at IEPG and v6ops besides this 
draft.  About 250 mailing list comments from more than 30 people over 16 months, good 
discussion at several WG meetings.

During WGLC there were  affirmative comments, some nits which have been addressed.

There were some controversial elements, but they have been addressed. The document
makes no recommendations; the WG is considering another document, and may suggest 
6man work. There have been no formal reviews, nor do I think any are necessary.

Document Quality

The authors tested several kinds of EH packets to many hosts on many networks. 
The described results; may be taken as a problem  statement, or simply as 
feedback to the IETF on the success of Extension Headers.

Personnel

Shepherd: Lee Howard
AD: Joel Jaeggli