Subject: [v6ops] RFC 7872 on Observations on the Dropping of Packets with IPv6 Extension Headers in the Real World

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7872

        Title:      Observations on the Dropping of 
                    Packets with IPv6 Extension Headers in 
                    the Real World 
        Author:     F. Gont, J. Linkova,
                    T. Chown, W. Liu
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 30924
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7872

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7872

This document presents real-world data regarding the extent to which
packets with IPv6 Extension Headers (EHs) are dropped in the Internet
(as originally measured in August 2014 and later in June 2015, with
similar results) and where in the network such dropping occurs.  The
aforementioned results serve as a problem statement that is expected
to trigger operational advice on the filtering of IPv6 packets
carrying IPv6 EHs so that the situation improves over time.  This
document also explains how the results were obtained, such that the
corresponding measurements can be reproduced by other members of the
community and repeated over time to observe changes in the handling
of packets with IPv6 EHs.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC