Subject: [v6ops] Windows Creator Update supports RDNSS?

From: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 09:26:27 +0900

These links:

http://qiita.com/ip6/items/a6bd67938f15662ee862
http://www.myzaker.com/article/587b33d11bc8e08375000004

seem to suggest that Windows 10 Creators Update supports RDNSS.

I don't have a Windows box, so I can't confirm. Is there anyone on list who
can confirm or deny this? If it is indeed supported, is it enabled by
default?

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:11:01 -0700

Here's another link: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/19/windows_10_bug_undercuts_ipv6_rollout/

I don't think the issues are limited to Microsoft. 

> On Apr 21, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> These links:
> 
> I don't have a Windows box, so I can't confirm. Is there anyone on list who can confirm or deny this? If it is indeed supported, is it enabled by default?
> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:13:13 -0700

Another link for you: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/androids-lack-of-dhcpv6-support-poses-security-and-ipv6-deployment-issues/

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 09:26:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:

> I don't have a Windows box, so I can't confirm. Is there anyone on list 
> who can confirm or deny this? If it is indeed supported, is it enabled 
> by default?

I tested this just now, on regular fully updated Win10 Home-something 
(still trying to figure out if this would have "creators update" or not), 
on my NAT64+DNS64 Omnia Turris setup. No IPv4.

As far as I can see, it doesn't pick up the RDNSS, but it does use some 
DNS resolver it learnt using other means than DHCPv6 (because I disabled 
that). Win10 is using DNS resolver address my router allocated to itself 
out of ULA.

So... If not RDNSS or DHCPv6, what can it use? mDNS?

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:49:44 +0200 (CEST)

> So... If not RDNSS or DHCPv6, what can it use? mDNS?

Disregard my previous email. It seems I am unable to make my Omnia Turris 
stop speaking DHCPv6. I did manage to stop it from handing out DNS 
resolvers via DHCPv6 though.

I have now updated to Win10 creators release, and yes, indeed it seems to 
support RDNSS. My Omnia Turris announces RDNSS resolver in RA with its GUA 
LAN address and windows configured its resolver using that GUA address. It 
didn't before I updated to the creators release.

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 11:06:26 +0200

Hi Mikael,

I believe this product is based in OpenWRT and also uses Luci as one of the possible interfaces.

If this is the case, to disable DHCPv6, you go to the network/interface/your-LAN. In the lower part of the screen you can see DHCP server and one of the sub-sections is IPv6 settings. One of the drop-boxes there is DHCPv6-service, that you can set to disable, save&apply.

I just tried in another hardware suing OpenWRT and it works for me.

You could also modify the /etc/config/dhcp. Under “config dchp ‘lan’”, you will find “option dhcpv6 'server'”, just delete that line.

Regards,
Jordi

-----Mensaje original-----
De: v6ops <[email-masked]> en nombre de Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Organización: People's Front Against WWW
Responder a: <[email-masked]>
Fecha: sábado, 22 de abril de 2017, 10:49
Para: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
CC: "[email-masked] WG" <[email-masked]>
Asunto: Re: [v6ops] Windows Creator Update supports RDNSS? (yes it does)

    

    

**********************************************
IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.consulintel.es
The IPv6 Company

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:45:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> I have now updated to Win10 creators release, and yes, indeed it seems 
> to support RDNSS. My Omnia Turris announces RDNSS resolver in RA with 
> its GUA LAN address and windows configured its resolver using that GUA 
> address. It didn't before I updated to the creators release.

I have now received information that indicates that it will only use RDNSS 
if there is no DHCPv4 or DHCPv6 provided resolver. Can someone confirm?

Isn't there some Microsoft knowledge Base article that describes this? I 
can't find any anyway... Perhaps someone from Microsoft would care to 
comment?

---

From: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 23:24:31 +0900

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> if there is no DHCPv4 or DHCPv6 provided resolver.

Perhaps it implements this text in RFC 8106:

   The DNS options from RAs and DHCP SHOULD be
   stored in the DNS Repository and Resolver Repository so that
   information from DHCP appears there first and therefore takes
   precedence.  Thus, the DNS information from DHCP takes precedence
   over that from RAs for DNS queries.

---

From: Ross Chandler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 19:12:31 +0100

On 23 Apr 2017, at 15:24, Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]> wrote:

I have now received information that indicates that it will only use RDNSS if there is no DHCPv4 or DHCPv6 provided resolver.

I can see that it does maintain a Resolver Repository containing RDNSS and DHCPv6 recursive DNS resolvers.

With my router configured to not advertise resolvers in DHCP and different resolvers as RDNSS and DHCP6 it is possible with “ipconfig /all” to see it immediately start using RDNSS upon issuing an “ipconfig /release6”.

Ross

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:56:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Ross Chandler wrote:

> start using RDNSS upon issuing an “ipconfig /release6”.

aaaaaaah. I was not aware this command existed. That would have helped me 
a lot.

I just took for granted "/release" and "/renew" would act on both DHCPv4 
and DHCPv6. How silly of me.

---

From: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:10:34 +0900

> didn't before I updated to the creators release.

Time to update
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_in_operating_systems
?