Subject: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-templin-v6ops-pdhost-08.txt

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:25:22 +0000

See attached for the latest version of "IPv6 Prefix Delegation for End Systems".
This version resolves the list comments from Fred Baker and Ole Troan.

This is about prefix delegation to end systems. It is different than
'draft-ietf-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host' in that the end system explicitly
participates in the prefix delegation and maintenance procedures, and therefore
knows that the prefix has been delegated for its own exclusive use. This allows
the end system to autoconfigure addresses for itself without having to perform
DAD over the upstream interface for each address.

Again, "unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host" is not a prefix delegation service whereas
this document is. Both will be useful for their own respective use cases, so the
two should be seen as complimentary and not in competition.

Comments on the list would be appreciated.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 1:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-v6ops-pdhost-08.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 Prefix Delegation for End Systems
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-v6ops-pdhost-08.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2017-09-18

Abstract:
   IPv6 prefixes are typically delegated to requesting routers which
   then use them to number their downstream-attached links and networks.
   This document considers the case when the "requesting router" is
   actually an end system which receives a delegated prefix that it can
   use for its own sub-delegation and/or multi-addressing purposes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-v6ops-pdhost/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-v6ops-pdhost-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-templin-v6ops-pdhost-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-templin-v6ops-pdhost-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt