Subject: [vwrap] AW Groupies meeting on mesh asset interop

From: Lawson English <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:52:46 -0700

The AW Groupies meeting tomorrow will be Aaron Waslh talking (in voice 
with questions taken in voice and text) about the iED OpenFile Format: 
http://mediagrid.org/news/2010-11_iED_Create_Once_Experience_Everywhere.html
at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/ThorneBridgeTown/156/130/22 at 
9:30 AM Second Life Time
IM Saijanai  Kuhn for an invite to AW Groupies  if you want to participate

Lawson (Saijanai Kuhn in Second Life)

---

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:55:39 +0000

Thank you for organizing this, Lawson.

I feel it's extremely important that we embrace open content formats as a
core principle in VWRAP, because content is at the heart of interop.  This
will create immense synergy between virtual worlds once they start to
interoperate with no barriers of content incompatibility.

Because of our origins in the Second Life universe, our content types have
never been specified explicitly, but merely assumed to be those of Second
Life extended with some kind of MIME-tagged extension set.  This isn't
really good enough for a purported Internet standard.  "Extensible" means
nothing in practice if we have not addressed how extended types are actually
handled by worlds and clients alike.

Liaising with groups like iED can get us on the road towards widespread
interop of content between worlds, beyond our narrow little prim-based
enclave.  That would be fantastic.

Morgaine.

====================================

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Lawson English <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The AW Groupies meeting tomorrow will be Aaron Waslh talking (in voice with
> questions taken in voice and text) about the iED OpenFile Format:
> _______________________________________________
> vwrap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vwrap
>

---

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:42:12 +0000

Further on this subject, be sure to watch iED's interesting video at
http://www.youtube.com/ImmersiveED#p/u/0/cMhBiu0YJ3s .

A key sentence from near the end of the video:

"*Here, realXtend is actually getting that crab out of Wonderland.  In other
words, Wonderland is hosting the crab in its asset repositories, and
realXtend is pulling directly from the Wonderland server, the Wonderland
content repository, to enable drag'n'drop right there in realXtend.*"

Well done, realXtend and OpenWonderland, and of course iED! :-)

Clearly all of this is heading beyond mere format compatibility and towards
full interoperability between worlds.  Our work in VWRAP can help that goal
happen.  Indeed, if it does not then it may rapidly become irrelevant.

Morgaine.

================================

---

From: Bill Windwalker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 13:28:16 -0800 (PST)

Greetings AW group you did know me as xstorm Radek.
My wife Patty1 and I have been gone from second life for some time not only do 
to poor support but other problems.
We moved to Opensim and now have 16 of our own sims and have found less 
problems.
I have seen some great steps taken at last in sl from what im reading but see a 
larger number of problems the user will be facing.
When people start  to use mesh more it seems there will be more problems with 
people importing other peoples and companys mesh work in  to sl.
plus i feel its just as impotent to keep in mind that Opensim is growing in many 
ways and may even help the  dev work of SL.
yes there is the same copybot problems in opensim so building better standard 
for people running them will take time.
but i feel unless SL finds a way to let some content in and out of SL it will be 
shut off from the rest of  the world in time.
I do know not many ever did wish to hear from me at the meetings but i feel it 
was time to say some thing even if it seems wrong.