Subject: [vwrap] Departing from virtual world development

From: John Hurliman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:28:36 -0800

Hi everyone,

I'm sad to announce that I've decided to leave my position at Intel
and the virtual world development sphere. This is my last official
week, although I will be tying up development ends in the open source
virtual world arena for a bit longer.

2011 marks my fifth year working on virtual worlds, from the beginning
of libsecondlife/libopenmetaverse to the current OpenSim and
SimianGrid development. Things have come a long way from reverse
engineering the terrain packet encoding, and we now have a
decentralized network of worlds and a protocol to link them together.

My departure is the beginning of a new adventure into machine learning
with an early stage startup. This endeavor is a full-time commitment
and won't leave me enough time to contribute to
OpenSim/SimianGrid/libOpenMetaverse/Fortis/Aurora/VWRAP in any
substantive way. Although I'm transitioning into a different area of
technology, I'm still interested in the progress of the open metaverse
and keeping in contact with everyone, and can be reached any time at
this e-mail.

On a related note, Intel's Virtual Worlds Infrastructure team is
looking for a software researcher. Working with the VWI team has been
great; I can't say enough good things about being a member of the team
and advancing research in the virtual worlds and distributed computing
field. Ping Mic Bowman if you are interested in working in the field
in a research capacity.

I am going to miss working with all of you, and I wish the best of
luck to everyone in this area. I'll pop into IRC periodically to say
hello.

Best,
John

---

From: Dahlia Trimble <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:55:01 -0800

Best of luck in your new field. You will be sorely missed.

I hope to hear more about your new endeavors, I've done some work in the
field of machine vision and learning in the past and I understand what a
rewarding field it can be. Please continue to stay in touch and let us know
how you are doing and what research you can share.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM, John Hurliman <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> vwrap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vwrap
>

---

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:58:15 +0000

All the best to you, John, in your new occupation and venture.  I think it's
not an overstatement to say that you've been a major inspiration to the
technical communities in our VW area, and I am sure that you will have a
similar impact in your next line of work.

Machine learning is one of those disciplines with boundless spheres of
application, and it wouldn't surprise me if it brings you back to virtual
worlds in due course.  Or at least I hope so. :-)

All the best for the future, and I look forward very much to your occasional
staying in touch.

Morgaine.

===============================

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM, John Hurliman <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Opensim-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-dev
>