Subject: [vwrap] Networked Communication of Objects: some thoughts

From: "L. Christopher Bird" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:54:55 -0700

Before we turn off the lights...

I have recently written a paper Entitled Networked Communication of Second
Life® Objects using LSL, php, and MySQL. And it can be found at
http://flynnos.org/Networked%20Communication%20of%20Second%20Life%20Objects.pdfIts
short so I will wait while you read it.

So this got me to thinking, though my application is specific to Second
Life, there is no reason that communication between objects in various grids
with non-persistent URLs could not be obtained with a simple extension to
this method.  Though my method specifically uses the LSL HTTP server (which
I believe up to this point is not reproduced in the OpenSimulator LSL clone)
any object in any virtual space that can send and receive HTTP requests
should be able to join in one of the networks described in the paper.

The best part is that this is built on existing standards and all that is
needed  in any virtual world to implement something like this is an HTTP
channel to your virtual object.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Comments?

-- Christopher (ZenMondo)

---

From: Meadhbh Hamrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:11:42 -0800

well... if you're interested in documenting it and other people are
interested in implementing it, more power to you.

i would offer the following criticizms though:

a. the IETF tends to be focused on the format of things that go across
a wire (i.e. - "wire protocols".) and while the technique you document
has the benefit that it works in an existing environment with little
trouble, it doesn't really talk too much about the format of messages
on the wire.

b. it requires MySQL & LSL. again, that's great for the existing
environments like SL & OpenSim that speak more or less the same
dialect of LSL, but one of the objectives of specifying wire protocols
is you get to implement things in whatever language you want. so for
example, the OpenSim diehards can implement things in C# while i
implement things in JavaScript/NodeJS with occasional lapses into PHP.

c. LSL is a pox upon humanity that should be driven from the face of
the earths (both physically manifest and virtual.) which is my way of
saying, "enh. LSL has some issues as an implementation language, and
if we're doing something new, let's try to learn from LSL's mistakes
and apply the "cool bits" of LSL to a less horked environment." being
a JavaScript partisian, i would simply say "take the concept of states
from LSL and add it to a javascript implementation, then create a DOM
like structure representing the things a script can interact with."

i think what i'm trying to say is, "this is cool, but VWRAP is the
wrong forum." or maybe even, "i see a kernel of something in there
that would be useful for transition from old school SecondLife to
whatever comes next, but i have to play with it a little more before i
can figure out how it applies to my mental map of what VWRAP was going
to be."

seriously though, i liked the paper, it should get more distribution.
did you send it to opensource-dev (or whatever they're calling sldev
these days?)

-cheers
-meadhbh
--
meadhbh hamrick * it's pronounced "maeve"
@OhMeadhbh * http://meadhbh.org/ * [email-masked]

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM, L. Christopher Bird <[email-masked]> wrote:
> http://flynnos.org/Networked%20Communication%20of%20Second%20Life%20Objects.pdf
> Its short so I will wait while you read it.
>
> _______________________________________________
> vwrap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vwrap
>
>

---

From: "L. Christopher Bird" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 09:19:45 -0700

> did you send it to opensource-dev (or whatever they're calling sldev

Thanks. One of the things is I do not know WHERE to share this.
opensource-dev pretty much is snowglobe development these days and anything
else is quickly shouted down as off topic the recent spat of activity on
this list made me think "oh maybe they will like it"

Thank you for the feedback and consideration.

-- Zen

---

From: Meadhbh Hamrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:06:17 -0800

hmm.. isn't there a LSL users group somewhere with a mailing list?

if not, maybe we could start one.

-cheers
-meadhbh