Subject: RE: registration of text/xml media type (was: WebDAV last call)

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:02:52 -0700

Chris, Members of the IESG,

In the WebDAV Working Group we had been assuming that someone from the W3C 
or the XML community had registered the text/xml media type, and were 
surprised to discover that text/xml had not yet been registered with IANA. 
 Thank you for drawing our attention to this matter.

We have indeed taken this as an action item, and I have just submitted 
Internet Draft <draft-whitehead-mime-xml-00> to the Internet-Drafts 
directory, where it should appear in the next few days.  This draft is also 
available from:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/xml/draft-whitehead-mime-xml-00.txt

This draft is titled, "The text/xml Media Type", and contains the 
registration for text/xml. I have forwarded this draft along to the W3C XML 
Special Interest Group so that it can be reviewed by the XML community.

My intent is to collect feedback from this community, and revise the 
text/xml registration draft based on this feedback, submitting a new 
revision on May 1. At this time I will also submit this draft to the IESG 
for approval, so that the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol and the 
text/xml registration can be considered at the same time. In this way, 
consideration of the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol can take place 
independent of the text/xml registration status.

- Jim Whitehead
Chair, IETF WEBDAV WG

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Chris Newman [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Thursday, April 23, 1998 11:27 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Cc:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	[Spam?] Re: Last Call: Extensions for Distributed Authoring and
> Versioning on  the World Wide Web -- WEBDAV to Proposed Standard
>
> I believe this should not be published as an RFC until the "text/xml"
> media type is registered with IANA according to the procedures in RFC
> 2048, section 2.1.1.
>
> The is more than a simple procedural complaint because the security
> considerations for text/xml need to be documented and the XML
> specification is silent on the issue of security.
>
> I have not reviewed the WEBDAV specification for other issues, but felt 
it
> was important to raise this issue sooner rather than later so it causes
> minimal delay.
>
> [Note: I'm including [email-masked], with the hope that someone
>  there can adopt this as an action item.  I am not subscribed to that
>  list.]
>
> 		- Chris