Subject: Re: Creating a WebDAV support organization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:27:31 -0400

Sounds like a great idea. Definitely needed. However, you're talking about a
significant cost in resource time and money. This is typically done by a product
marketing organization. I suspect the players building significant WebDAV client
applications and/or servers will have to step up to this task in order to sell
their products. However, this does not foster the WebDAV community as a whole,
or create interest in the standard before products are available.  Perhaps
webdav.org can minimally play this role while products are being introduced and
then individual marketing organizations can create the WebDAV drag needed to
foster a larger community. This a compromise, but its also relatively easy to
achieve.

---

From: David Pool <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:36:00 -0700

Having tried this with XML, it is not easy. We did end up with XML.org so it
was worth the effort. I would suggest high level conversation with SoftBank
or the guys at Internet world as a start. I will take Microsoft/Sun/IBM to
step up and commit resources and people. I would be glad to facilitate and
help out.

I also believe we need to push WebDAV into HTTP-NG and get broader support
at the distributed computing level from the W3C.

My one bit!

Pool

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 12:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Creating a WebDAV support organization

Sounds like a great idea. Definitely needed. However, you're talking about a
significant cost in resource time and money. This is typically done by a
product
marketing organization. I suspect the players building significant WebDAV
client
applications and/or servers will have to step up to this task in order to
sell
their products. However, this does not foster the WebDAV community as a
whole,
or create interest in the standard before products are available.  Perhaps
webdav.org can minimally play this role while products are being introduced
and
then individual marketing organizations can create the WebDAV drag needed to
foster a larger community. This a compromise, but its also relatively easy
to
achieve.