Subject: BIND Error Codes

From: "Slein, Judith A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:19:06 -0400

Another in the series of messages from the advanced collections design team:

We've agreed to remove all normative language about cross-server bindings,
but we do think it would be useful to say something about the reason why a
binding cannot be created, especially in the case of an attempt to create a
cross-server binding.

We haven't been able to agree on how best to do this.

Currently the binding spec says that if the server can't guarantee the
required binding behavior, it must fail the BIND request with a 501 (Not
Implemented).  Period.  No further explanation.  We could just leave it at
that, but we think it would be useful to the client to know that the reason
the BIND can't be done is that the server can't guarantee integrity of
bindings to resources on another server (for example).

We could use a different (new) error code for "Can't create cross-server
binding."

We could stick with 501, but provide further explanation in the response
body.

We could leave the spec as it is.

Any preferences?

--Judy

Judith A. Slein
Xerox Corporation
[email-masked]
(716)422-5169
800 Phillips Road 105/50C
Webster, NY 14580