Subject: FW: WebDAV DTD

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:37:39 -0700

Accidentally caught by the spam filter.  I've sent in a request to have
Tim's email address added to the accept2 list, so hopefully this won't
happen again.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Ellison OTT [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 12:48 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth
Subject: [Moderator Action] WebDAV DTD

One rule in the DTD states:
    <!ELEMENT propstat (prop, status, responsedescription?) >

I suggest that this is modified to read
    <!ELEMENT propstat (status, responsedescription?, prop) >

so that streaming clients can retrieve the status of a property before they
retireve the property itself , and thereby know whether the data is valid or
not.  In the current rule, such a client is required to read the prop data
in its entirety, possibly to discover that the data is invalid only after
the fact.

Comments?
 -------------

Trivia:
In RFC2518 Feb 1999
8.2.2 Example - PROPPATCH

(1) The property is set as <Z:authors> but the response stat is given as
<Z:Authors>.  Note the case switch.
(2) The responsedescription states 'Copyright Owner can not..' the property
was 'Copyright-Owner'.  Either the response description is a canned
response, in which case the hyphen is missing, or the server is doing
something I don't understand!

Tim

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 16:47:53 -0400

Jim Whitehead wrote:

> retireve the property itself

Hmm.  Is there anybody out there whose code this would break? I know my client
code wouldn't mind; it passes the entire entity to an XML parser and then,
given a propstat element, asks the parser "OK, give me the first status element
and the first prop element".

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"What now, Brain?" "We should flee in terror.|
[email-masked]|Yes, that would be the wisest course."       |
\==============================================================/