Subject: RE: Globally unique tokens. Was: One lock per resource per person?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:46:46 -0400

jw> The strongest requirement for globally unique lock tokens comes
jw> from looking at the future where there could be multiple WebDAV
jw> servers participating in a cooperative cluster.  In that case,
jw> having globally unique lock tokens would prevent lock token
jw> collisions.

  Isn't this a quality-of-implementation issue?  If multiple servers
  need to access the same physical repository, a privately-arranged
  scheme can be used to keep them from colliding with each other
  (possibly even some server acting as a clearinghouse for doling out
  LOCK tokens).

Bill,
So you are suggesting that they don't need to be *globally* unique
as long as they are unique within the cluster?

---

From: [email-masked] (WJCarpenter)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:35:06 -0700

wjc> Isn't this a quality-of-implementation issue?  If multiple
wjc> servers need to access the same physical repository, a
wjc> privately-arranged scheme can be used to keep them from colliding
wjc> with each other (possibly even some server acting as a
wjc> clearinghouse for doling out LOCK tokens).

ccjason> So you are suggesting that they don't need to be *globally*
ccjason> unique as long as they are unique within the cluster?

No, actually.  I'm still saying unique-within-resource.  (My only
caveat is that it's kind of vague to me what this cluster example is
all about, so I've interpreted it to support what I'm saying. :-)  If
there are multiple hands in the cookie jar for the same resource, they
just need a private agreement that will keep them from reaching for
the same cookie.
-- 
[email-masked]   (WJCarpenter)           PGP
[email-masked]                    0x91865119
38 95 1B 69 C9 C6 3D 25  73 46 32 04 69 D6 ED F3