Subject: locknull resources

From: Greg Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:58:06 -0800 (PST)

Given the *current* spec :-), has anybody noticed that you can actually
have a locknull resource that does not have any *direct* locks on it? For
example:

  Establish a locknull as /a/b with a shared lock. Now, lock /a with a
  Depth: infinity lock, shared. Finally, unlock /a/b with the first
  locktoken.

Just wanted to mention this to others, as it was pretty unexpected for
me...

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:24:29 -0500

Thanks Greg.  I've added that scenario to the list of locking issues.

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569,   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:13:05 -0500

This isn't perhaps that unexpected. If one models the lifecycle of a
resource as a finite state machine, then it goes from non-existant (i.e., a
reference to resource whose current state is undefined) to lock-null on
LOCK. More locks leave it in this state. It only leaves this state and goes
back to non-existant if there are no more locks. A PUT moves it from the
lock-null state to the existing-resource state, etc.

Greg Stein <[email-masked]> on 11/11/99 07:58:06 PM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:

Subject:  locknull resources

Cheers,
-g