Subject: LOCK request body?

From: Greg Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 00:39:12 -0800 (PST)

Section 8.10.1 states that a LOCK request "SHOULD" have a request body.
However, it does not state what the server should use as a default if the
client does not supply a body.

What should a server do? Create a lock of its own choosing?

The text does state "unless this is a refresh request", but the parsing of
the sentence is not entirely clear. I believe the intent is probably that
it MUST have a body for asserting a lock, and that it MUST NOT have a body
for refreshing a lock.

On a slightly different topic: why is a refresh done using locktokens
gathered from the If: header, rather than the more obvious Lock-Token:
header?

Cheers,
-g

-- 
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

---

From: Kevin Wiggen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:18:00 -0800

I agree with Greg.  The wording from 8.10.1 should be a "MUST".

Currently the Xythos Storage Server will give an error back if no body is
sent.  We make no assumptions about what the client desires and thus simply
fail it.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Greg Stein
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 12:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LOCK request body?

Cheers,
-g

---

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:29:59 -0800

> What should a server do? Create a lock of its own choosing?

Uhhhhhhh...

> it MUST have a body for asserting a lock, and that it MUST NOT have a body

This makes sense to me.

> gathered from the If: header, rather than the more obvious Lock-Token:

I can't recall our original rationale.  We might have been thinking that,
since the lock had to exist for the request to be honored, this effectively
made the locks existence a precondition, and preconditions are expressed
using the If header.

- Jim