Subject: Integrated XML browser/editor and WebDAV BOF at XML '99

From: "David M. Chandler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:59:04 -0800

There a couple of talks on structured document management at XML/MT '99
(www.gca.org/attend/1999_conferences/xml_99/default.htm), including one
which specifically mentions WebDAV (abstract below). WebDAV seems like a
natural fit for this application with its support for hierarchical
collections. My personal interest is an XML browser/editor which can edit in
place objects within a document (vs. the whole document) using WebDAV. Is
anyone working on this?

If anyone is planning to attend in Philadelphia and would like to get
together informally to discuss current WebDAV-related initiatives, please
send me e-mail and I'll help coordinate a time and place.

David M. Chandler
Web Applications Developer
National Computer Systems
[email-masked]

Approaches for structured document management
Timothy Arnold-Moore, Michael Fuller, and Ron Sacks-Davis, Royal Melbourne
Institute of Technology (Australia)
Document Management Systems (DMS) are tools to manage centralized
repositories of documents, providing controlled access to documents and
tracking the changes made to the documents. This presentation compares
traditional DMS functionality with more recent DMS functional extensions and
the even greater functionality available with structured document support
through SGML or XML, and then summarizes the architectural differences among
the three approaches. It also discusses relevant standards and initiatives,
including ODMA, WEBDAV, and WAPI.

---

From: Greg Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:13:50 -0800 (PST)

I think you missed one of the talks at XML '99 :-)  ...

  WebDAV: Web-Based Distributed Authoring and Versioning

  WebDAV is an exciting new technology for the World Wide Web. WebDAV
  stands for Web-Based Distributed Authoring and Versioning, and
  provides a way to remotely author and manage your web servers (whether
  you are an author or an adminstrator). The WebDAV protocol is
  specified by RFC 2518 as an extension to the HTTP protocol, utilizing
  XML for client/server interactions and communication of metadata. This
  talk will present an overview of WebDAV, its benefits for users, and
  scenarios for effective deployment. It will continue with a discussion
  of the available tools, applications, and programmatic APIs available
  for working in WebDAV-enabled environments. In closing, the session
  will detail the future direction of the WebDAV protocol and how it
  could drive the next step in the evolution of the Web.

  by Greg Stein, Independent Software Developer

(Wednesday, 9:45am)

You might surmise that I'll be there, too :-). Yes, I'd be interested in
getting together. It might make sense to put something on webdav.org.
Should I direct people at you, for setting up a BOF?

Re: editor. WebDAV provides no specific facilities for editing pieces of a
document. Standard HTTP can do a GET/PUT using ranges, but WebDAV has
avoided things like range locks.

Cheers,
-g

-- 
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/