Subject: Re: interoperability testing with Xythos/Sharemation server

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:00:58 +0100

At 01:40 PM 11/14/99 -0800, Kevin Wiggen wrote:
>Jim,

>I don't know how to reproduce your findings, and I can't.  Can you make your
>test script be even more verbose and print out the Headers and XML you are
>sending in the Request, and then what the headers and body that my server
>gives you in the Response.  This will make it easier for me (and you) to
>track down issues, as I can see the series of Request/Response pairs for
>your tests.

>dead property http://example.com/author was preserved across deletion of
>/~jrd/foo.html

This was a bug in my test code.   Xythos returns two propstat elements in
this case.
The first one had an empy prop element, and a status of 200.  The second
one had
the prop I was looking for, and the appropriate status code 404.

As far as I can tell it's perfectly legal for Xythos to return that first
propstat, even though there were no props in it.  but it confused my code.
Now fixed.  Xythos is not guilty.

>PropPatch failed with tagged-list production

here is more detail.   The request is 

PROPPATCH /~jrd/foo.html
If:
<http://www.sharemation.com:80/~jrd/foo.html>(<locktoken:www.sharemation.com
LockServeridu:977>)
Content-Length: 185
Content-Type: text/xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<A:propertyupdate xmlns:A="DAV:">
  <A:set>
    <A:prop>
      <B:author xmlns:B="http://example.com/">259</B:author>
    </A:prop>
  </A:set>
</A:propertyupdate>

The reply is 

server: IBM_HTTP_Server/1.3.6 Apache/1.3.7-dev (Win32) ApacheJServ/1.0
content-type: text/xml; charset=UTF-8
content-length: 320
date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:55:00 GMT

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<A:multistatus xmlns:A="DAV:">
  <A:response>
    <A:href>http://www.sharemation.com/~jrd/foo.html</A:href>
    <A:propstat>
      <A:prop>
        <B:author xmlns:B="http://example.com/"/>
      </A:prop>
      <A:status>HTTP/1.1 423 Locked</A:status>
    </A:propstat>
  </A:response>
</A:multistatus>

Does the If header I am passing look wrong to you?

---

From: Kevin Wiggen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:30:04 -0800

Header was fine, we were choking on the port (.com/ != .com:80/)

Fixed, please continue your testing,
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Davis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 5:01 AM
To: Kevin Wiggen
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: interoperability testing with Xythos/Sharemation server

PROPPATCH /~jrd/foo.html
If:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

The reply is

<?xml version="1.0"?>

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:51:11 +0100

>Header was fine, we were choking on the port (.com/ != .com:80/)

I am glad you fixed it (and can verify that you have) but it occurs to me
that just maybe it was not a bug in Xythos but rather a bug in tdav.  I
would like a second opinion.

I was passing a coded URL that had an explicit port (80)   Is there a rule
about how to compare two coded URLs for identity, when one has an an
explicit port and the other has no port (it was using the default port, in
this case).  Perhaps in RFC 2068?

---

From: Joe Orton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:28:41 +0000

> this case).  Perhaps in RFC 2068?

RFC2616 section 3.2.3 has it...ž "A port that is empty or not given is
equivalent to the default port for that URI-reference;"

joe