Subject: Alternate DAV list archive

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 17:04:01 -0800

Hi all,

A fellow Ph.D. student here at UCI, Michael Kantor <[email-masked]>, is
working on a project called "Knowledge Depot" for his dissertation.  In
short, Knowledge Depot stores email in a database, and then allows multiple
views upon that database.  Instead of the folders metaphor of existing mail
tools where filters put mail messages into a folder when the email arrives,
Knowledge Depot associates each view with a database query.

Michael has set up Knowledge Depot on the WebDAV working group mailing list
archives, and his database now has the complete set of archives.  It's
currently available for public use.  To gain access to this site, go to
http://kdepot.ics.uci.edu/users/kdepot/index.pl?webdav
and create an account for yourself.  You can use this site to subscribe to
receive digests of all mailing list discussions that match specific
constraints (such as being on a specific topic or from a specific user).
You can also specify how detailed and how frequent those digests should be.

I've pre-populated the archive with some potentially interesting views, such
as "recent email about MOVE", or "recent email about BIND", and "meeting
minutes".  I'm sure you'll think of others, and can use the query interface
to try them out.

Since this is Michael's Ph.D. topic, and not mine, please send Michael your
comments and questions, not me :-)

DISCLAIMER
----------
This system is provided as part of a research project studying the impact of
this type of technology, and as such, we may study usage logs to understand
how the system was used and whether it was effective.  Therefore you should
understand that by using the system, you are agreeing to participate in this
study.  Participation contains no obligations, this disclaimer is simply to
notify you that this is part of a study.

- Jim