Subject: COPY again..

From: [email-masked] (Christian Scholz)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 23:35:08 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

Thanks for the last answer but I have another question regarding
the Overwrite Header:

1. What is the default of the Header if it's not given? From the
   example I assume it's T

2. When I do an Overwrite and the DELETE fails for some resources,
   what do I do? Of course I cannot copy the resources for which
   the destination still exists but what do I return in the multistatus?
   Do I simply append the DELETE errors to the COPY errors?

   Assume we have a/b/c/d and want to copy /a to /f/g where still
   resources like /f/g/h exist. Now h will produce a 403 when
   trying to delete it. Hm, right now I would say, I cannot delete
   h thus I cannot delete g and thus I cannot copy anything..

   Is this the right solution? ;-)

I like the details.. ;-)

best,
  Christian

---

From: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 21:07:29 -0500

From: [email-masked] (Christian Scholz)

Yes.  Section 9.6:    
"If the overwrite header is not included in a COPY or MOVE request
then the resource MUST treat the request as if it has an overwrite
header of value "T"."

Yes, this is unclear in the spec (there's an exchange between Kevin
and Jim on this topic back in the middle of May).  Jim added this to
the issue list for 2518.  Jim's response was:

"It should respond with the errors for delete, since
these are the conditions which would need to be removed by the client for
the operation to proceed."

In other words, the delete errors *are* the copy errors.

Yes.

Cheers,
Geoff