Subject: RE: Office 2000 and properties

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:25:53 -0800

I do not believe this is possible -- Office 2000 properties appear to be
exclusively embedded within the document.  An intelligent server that has
knowledge of the Office data formats might be able to extract the properties
and expose them via DAV, but I know of no server (including MS's) that does
this.

- Jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Friday, November 26, 1999 11:35 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Office 2000 and properties
>
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to configure the Ms office 2000
> applications and ms webfolders to use webdav properties instead of just
> embed them in the document ?
>
> /Lars-Gunnar
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:05:22 -0800

I suppose Office 2000 uses OLE Persistent Property Sets for storing the
properties within the document.  

Jim Whitehead wrote:
>> An intelligent server that has knowledge of the Office data formats 
>> might be able to extract the properties and expose them via DAV,

Such a server would be interesting for documents created using many other
Windows based applications as well. OLE defines a standard seialized data
format for property sets called "Structured Storage Serialized Property Set
Format".  A Windows NT based server could use StgOpenStorageEx and get the
IPropertySetStorage/IPropertyStorage interfaces to access the properties.
Any other server could directly access the properties using the published
format.

Atul