Subject: PROPPATCH response with 201?

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:28:42 -0700

Greg & I find 2518 a little confusing on this issue:

"Status Codes for use with 207 (Multi-Status)

The following are examples of response codes one would expect to be used in
a 207 (Multi-Status) response for this method. Note, however, that unless
explicitly prohibited any 2/3/4/5xx series response code may be used in a
207 (Multi-Status) response.

200 (OK) - The command succeeded. As there can be a mixture of sets and
removes in a body, a 201 (Created) seems inappropriate. "

Why is 201 inappropriate inside a 207?  Wouldn't it be potentially useful to
a client to know when a property was created vs. modified?  If there's some
reason why 201 is inappropriate inside a 207 (which I can't see), then all
properties mods will be reported with a 200 OK.  Why not just use 200 OK for
the overall message response, omitting the body?  (remember PROPPATCH is
atomic)

If this just needs a mite of clarification, perhaps we can put it on the
issues list for 2518.

Lisa

---

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:54:50 -0400

Normally (according to 2616), a 201 indicates that a new resource has been
created on the server.  Unless you consider a property to itself be a
resource,
it would then be misleading to return a 201 for the addition of a property.

Cheers,
Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa Dusseault [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 6:29 PM
To: Webdav WG
Subject: PROPPATCH response with 201?

Lisa