Subject: Required properties with no value [WAS: workspace property on res ources that aren't in workspaces]

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:27:11 -0400

This is a good question, and it applies to any "required" property that
sometimes has "no value" (e.g. DAV:checked-in and DAV:checked-out).

So this question probably should be answered in 2518bis (I'll forward
this message to the WebDAV list), but we certainly could take a stab
at it in the DeltaV context first.

Like Julian, I'd probably be inclined to "b", but don't feel strongly
either way.  Anyone prefer "a", prefer to decide separately for each
property, or prefer that we leave it up to the server?

Cheers,
Geoff

   From: Julian Reschke [mailto:[email-masked]]

   section 6.2.1 [of rfc 3253] says:

   "The DAV:workspace property of a workspace resource MUST identify
   itself.  The DAV:workspace property of any other type of resource
   MUST be the same as the DAV:workspace of its parent collection."

   It seems to be undefined however what the value is if a resource doesn't
   *have* a (DAV-compliant) parent collection, for instance the root of my
DAV
   namespace.

   So what should it be?

   a) not present
   b) empty (no href)

   Julian (leaning to b)

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:45:00 +0200

Required properties with no value [WAS: workspace property on resources that
aren't in workspaces]I think this case is a bit different.

For DAV:checked-in and DAV:checked-out the spec is very clear that they
aren't *present* for resources that don't happen to be checked-out /
checked-in.

In *this* case (DAV:workspace), the spec is just silent about the value for
a resource that happens to be in no workspace.

Furthermore, I don't think a) would work for DAV:checked-in -- clients
already check for the *presence* of this property to find out whether a
resource is checked-in, and RFC3253 explicitly says this is ok...:

"This property appears on a checked-in version-controlled resource, and
identifies a version that has the same content and dead properties as the
version-controlled resource. This property is removed when the resource is
checked out, and then added back (identifying a new version) when the
resource is checked back in."

--
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Clemm, Geoff
  Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 8:27 PM
  To: WebDAV (E-mail); [email-masked]
  Subject: Required properties with no value [WAS: workspace property on res
ources that aren't in workspaces]

  Cheers,
  Geoff

     It seems to be undefined however what the value is if a resource
doesn't
     *have* a (DAV-compliant) parent collection, for instance the root of my
DAV
     namespace.

     So what should it be?

     a) not present
     b) empty (no href)

     Julian (leaning to b)