Subject: RE: extending the DAV: HTTP header, was: Issues from Interop/Inte rim WG Meeting

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:20:37 -0400

WG meetings are not, I repeat, *NOT*, where these kinds
of decisions are made.  These decisions are made by the working
group as a whole as represented by consensus on the mailing list.

One does not "report decisions to the list", one makes suggestions
to the list, and then determines whether or not there is consensus
on the list.

This is especially true for a working group meeting that was not
even held at an IETF meeting, and especially true in these times
of restricted travel funds, where physical presence at a meeting
can often be infeasible.

Cheers,
Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa Dusseault [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 1:40 PM
To: 'Clemm, Geoff'; 'Webdav WG'
Subject: RE: extending the DAV: HTTP header, was: Issues from
Interop/Inte rim WG Meeting

...

Consensus was quite clear at the WG meeting on both these issues.  I
report this to the list to make it clear that significant dissent on the
list, along with feasible alternative solutions to the problems
encountered, would be required to overturn that.

---

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:41:04 -0700

I'm sorry Geoff, I tried to be careful in my wording exactly because of
these issues, of which I am in fact very sensitive.  Let clarify and fix
the misquote.

I said "I report this to the list" (that the WG had consensus).  I did
not say "report decisions to the list".  It is appropriate to convey WG
meeting consensus to the mailing list.  This was an official open WG
meeting and therefore taking consensus of the meeting attendees was an
appropriate thing to do.

I also specifically said in the paragraph you quote that the mailing
list could "overturn" this consensus.  The mailing list can do this with
any WG consensus, just as it can also confirm, or fail to overturn.  

Consensus was achieved at the WG meeting on various recommendations and
proposals to make to the list.  Nobody used the words "decisions".
Nobody said anything was final.

Mailing list participation and review is crucial to the IETF process.
However, if a WG is not allowed to determine consensus in person, at
official WG meetings, and report recommendations to the list, then the
WG loses an important tool for making progress.

Lisa

> From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Clemm, Geoff
> Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 11:21 AM
> To: 'Webdav WG'
Interop/Inte
> rim WG Meeting