Subject: BIND and HTTP status codes

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:44:39 +0200

Hi,

while implementing WebDAV BIND in Jackrabbit [1] (the Apache Java 
Content Repository Reference Implementation), my colleague Manfred 
Baedke noticed that the spec currently micro-manages HTTP status codes: 
for instance, for a successful BIND it requires status codes of 200 or 
201, while - from an HTTP point of view - a 204 should be acceptable as 
well.

Proposal: rephrase the text so that other success codes are acceptable 
as well, or remove the normative language completely, point to RFC2616, 
and rely on examples.

BR, Julian

[1] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1733>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:46:35 +0200

Hi,

the BIND extensions to Apache Jackrabbit 
(<http://jackrabbit.apache.org/>) that I mentioned earlier are now 
available in the svn trunk 
(<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jackrabbit/trunk/>).

Implementation restrictions:

- Jackrabbit does not allow bind cycles, so none of the functionality 
around status code 208 is implemented,

- In some cases, status 204 is returned instead of 200 (see discussion 
below)

- Jackrabbit does not allow two bindings to the same node within the 
same parent (will have to figure out why that is)

(thanks to Manfred Baedke for the implementation!)

BR, Julian