Subject: [weirds] ICANN wants an open source reference implementation of the Domain Name RESTful Whois

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 2012 17:28:53 -0000

I hadn't realized we'd finished our work already.

R's,
John

----- snip -----
http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-3-16may12-en.htm
________________________________
Open-Source Reference Implementation of a Domain Name RESTful Whois Server - Request for Proposals

16 May 2012

ICANN is issuing today a Request for
Proposal<http://www.icann.org/en/news/rfps/restful-whois-16may12-en.pdf>
[PDF, 183 KB] to identify a provider capable of providing an open
source reference implementation of a Domain Name RESTful Whois server.

On 15 May 2012, the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) chartered a
new working
group<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/weirds/current/msg01069.html>
to standardize a RESTful-based Registration Data Access Protocol. In
order to facilitate the evaluation and adoption of the replacement
protocol for domain registries and registrars, ICANN is seeking
proposals for an open source reference implementation.

Whois services, and their effectiveness in the case of
Internationalized registration data, are important issues for ICANN.
ICANN has been working to make advances in this area, appreciating the
technical community's past and present contributions, and committed to
collaborating with the technical and policy community to improve the
Whois service.

Beginning in 2002, ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee
(SSAC) published various advisories describing the needs for
improvement related to the Whois protocol, service and data schema,
most recently SAC
051<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-051-en.pdf>
[PDF, 237 KB]: SSAC Report on Domain Name Whois Terminology and
Structure. SAC 051 summarizes the previous advisories, and among other
things, recommends that the ICANN community evaluate and adopt a
replacement protocol that supports the query and display of
Internationalized registration data as well as addressing the relevant
recommendations in past SSAC advisories on this topic.

Respondents are requested to respond to this RFP by replying to:
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>. The period
to submit questions about the RFP will close on 5 June 2012. ICANN
will provide answers to all questions submitted to all respondents by
7 June 2012. The final response to the RFP is due on 15 June 2012.

This message was sent to [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> from:

ICANN | 4676 Admiralty Way Suite 330 | Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6601

---

From: Francisco Arias <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 10:31:57 -0700

Actually, the idea is to develop this in parallel with the standards
process, potentially having one implementation for when we need to to
interoperability checks.

__

Francisco.

On 5/17/12 10:28 AM, "John Levine" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>This message was sent to
>[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> from:
>
>_______________________________________________
>weirds mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds