Subject: [weirds] ICANN asks for advice on designing a WHOIS Technical Requirements Survey

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 2012 01:50:57 -0000

http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/draft-whois-requirements-survey-30may12-en.htm

 [ from the web page ]

Purpose (Brief): The Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO)
Council's WHOIS Survey Working Group (WSWG) requests community input
on the draft WHOIS Technical Requirements Survey. The Working Group is
soliciting input from experts on technical requirements for a new
WHOIS protocol, in particular people knowledgeable about technical
aspects of WHOIS who can help assess if the survey asks the right
questions and in the right style to elicit technical feedback. The
Working Group seeks specific suggestions on changes to language and
questions that will make it clearer for experts to complete.

Current Status: This Public Comment solicitation represents an
opportunity for the community to share perspectives on the proposed
draft WHOIS Technical Requirements Survey. In parallel, the WSWG will
conduct a Webinar to promote the survey and solicit additional
feedback.

Next Steps: The WSWG will consider the comments received as part of
their deliberations and creation of the final version of the WHOIS
Requirements Survey. Upon submission to the GNSO Council, the survey
will be announced and released for community participation. The survey
will be available for 30 days. Afterwards, the WSWG will compile,
analyze and report on the survey results to produce a final report
outlining possible WHOIS Technical requirements.

R's,
John

PS: The draft survey isn't bad, except where it asks about XML without
also asking about JSON.  Be sure to click through the whole thing, there's
a lot more than the first screenful.

---

From: Don Blumenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:01:16 -0400

I'm one of the vice chairs of the WSWG. Comments from folks on this list
would be very helpful.

Don