Subject: [weirds] Service and software libraries from Dyn Labs

From: Alex Sergeyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:51:46 -0400

Hi Everyone,

We were playing with ideas to make our own WERIDS service for Dyn, and
I would like to share them with this list.

Few upfront notes:
* we don't know what proposal will be used to create standard on JSON
structures, we just use something that we felt is "ok for now" (easy
to change too)
* I'm just pointing you to the domain name links below but we intend
to use it for Dynamic DNS hosts, and other services too
* HTTPS uses self-signed cert, sorry about inconveniences

Here is domain registration info:

https://whois.dyndns.com:8043/domain/dyn.com

Subsequently you might ask "who is really that user" and use test:test
Basic authentication to see more.

(note that it's hard to instrument in browser, so I made link
https://whois.dyndns.com:8043/domain/dyn.com?private that will require
authentication via HTTP 401, same way
to make given auth have no effect and show "public data" again, you'd
need to use https://whois.dyndns.com:8043/domain/dyn.com?public
because once 401 was seen browsers will be sending auth all the time
:( .... I'm not sure if this should be solved somehow or no)

We wanted to make something more than just service and released simple
library that we built:

https://github.com/dyninc/flask-weirds

It's an extension to Python Flask framework, which is very easy to
understand web-framework. Our tool does not include any UI or client
part. We decided to check concepts of authenticated data access and
tool that implements "basic WEIRDS concepts", like JSON-XML output,
e.g. to get XML for previous domain, please use:

https://whois.dyndns.com:8043/domain/dyn.com.xml

I'm open to your opinions and comments, it's nice to see WEIRDS ideas
become reality.

Thank you.

Alex.

---

From: Alex Sergeyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:17:27 -0400

Apologies for whoever tried my link it and received timeout,
apparently firewall rules were only letting our internal addresses to
access that and now it should be available to everyone. :)