Subject: Re: [weirds] SAC055: SSAC Comment on the WHOIS Review Team Final Report

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 06:02:48 -0500

Faith or not in SSAC members, Don's point is important.  When I read 
the document I did notice that it was written with an eye on "what 
can ICANN" do and not "what the IETF should define."

I.e., the report is not sufficient to be a requirements document for 
WEIRDS but it is  valued input.

Besides the gTLD space as being just a portion of the problem 
statement, the report includes requirements that I would guess 
(lacking any other documentation) that are out of scope for WEIRDS. 
For example, the accuracy aspects and audits there of.  And the 
proxy-for-privacy features.

It would be very nice if the RIRs did document what they expected to 
get out of a WHOIS replacement protocol, as well as a place where 
non-ICANN-affiliated (cc)TLDs could also collect their needs and 
expectations.

(Again, to draw on EPP experience, much of the early work was 
reflective of just a gTLD perspective.  Later in the evolution of the 
initial RFCs some ccTLDs came along with some different perspectives 
that had a noticeable, albeit minor in the grand scheme of things, 
impact on the final result.)

So - from this we have a statement that covers gTLDs.  But nothing 
covering (completely) the remaining (majority) of TLDs and RIRs.

At 14:30 -0400 9/21/12, Don Blumenthal wrote:
>On 9/21/12 2:14 PM, "Andy Newton" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>Don, I have full faith that the members of the SSAC know the space quite
>>well and know the larger scope of WHOIS. However, the point might need to
>>be made repeatedly by the SSAC to others. The point is especially useful
>>to answer such assertions that everybody can just go to
>>http://www.internic.net and all the problems of WHOIS will be solved.
>>
>>-andy
>
>Agreed. I was just giving background on the scope of the Whois RT report
>that might be useful when looking at the SSAC comments on it.
>
>don
>
>_______________________________________________
>weirds mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

2012...time to reuse those 1984 calendars!