Subject: [weirds] I-D Action: draft-ietf-weirds-redirects-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 09:34:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Web Extensible Internet Registration Data Service Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : LACNIC's Redirection Service for Number Resource RESTful WHOIS Queries
	Author(s)       : Carlos M. Martinez
                          Arturo L. Servin
                          Dario Gomez
                          Gerardo Rada
	Filename        : draft-ietf-weirds-redirects-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2012-10-15

Abstract:
   The traditional WHOIS protocol has several important shortcomings,
   and over the past few years several approaches to a better WHOIS have
   been discussed and proposed.

   Among these shortcomings, different registries operate different
   WHOIS services.  For users this implies that several WHOIS queries to
   different registries may be necessary in order to obtain data for a
   given resource.

   This document describes a proof-of-concept redirection service for
   RESTful WHOIS queries as implemented by LACNIC.  This service allows
   users to query a single WHOIS service and be redirected to the
   authoritative registry.

   The main goal of this document is to encourage discussion on the
   topics of Joint WHOIS services and query redirection in a RESTful
   WHOIS world.

   The solution implemented by LACNIC proposed here applies to numbering
   resources (IPv4, IPv6 and autonomous system numbers).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-redirects

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-redirects-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 11:21:56 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 12:34 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [weirds] I-D Action: draft-ietf-weirds-redirects-00.txt
> 
> 

I thought that the idea for draft-ietf-weirds-redirects was that it would be based on the earlier draft-lacnic-weirds-restwhois-redirects, but it would be revised to describe a general redirection approach that could be used for both number and name registries. Except for date and file name changes draft-ietf-weirds-redirects-00 is the same as draft-lacnic-weirds-restwhois-redirects-00. Is it going to be updated? If so, when?

Scott

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:53:56 -0200

Scott,

Right now I re-spinned the draft to meet the -00 deadline. We have not
yet received text/contributions from the names camp (although some
people have expressed interest in doing so). We still have time for a
-01 submission on 10/22 so if people from the names side are still
interested, let me know.

Since the at the last WEIRDS meeting the discussion problem of actually
populating the redirection table (the bootstrapping problem) was
postponed, and that the URL-conversion issues I describe in the draft
redirects do not have much to it.

Thus I believe the what Andy brought up on the list [1] was to have an
informational i-d documenting actual redirection practices but the
actual spec (just describing that 'servers SHOULD issue 301 redirects
according to a redirection table) was to be included in the HTTP draft.

Now, discussing this with Arturo, he seems to remember things a bit
differently, more along the lines you mention, so maybe we should have a
little discussion here on in ATL on the actual goal of the document.

Cheers!

~Carlos

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/weirds/current/msg01545.html

On 10/18/12 9:21 AM, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> weirds mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds
>

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:25:14 +0000

> From: Carlos M. Martinez [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:54 AM
> To: Hollenbeck, Scott
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [weirds] I-D Action: draft-ietf-weirds-redirects-00.txt
> 
> differently, more along the lines you mention, so maybe we should have
> a little discussion here on in ATL on the actual goal of the document.

That sounds like a good idea.

Scott