Subject: Re: [Wpack] WPACK side meeting at IETF105

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 10:41:40 -0400

I have a packing technology that supports all the traditional capabilities
of ZIP (incremental updates, compression) plus new cryptographic
capabilities that are currently unique.

The two packing scenarios that are relevant to escape type considerations
are use as a software distribution format (it has Merkle tree
authentication) and to support confidentiality (incremental and threshold
encryption are supported).
Threshold encryption is important in my view because most of the data
breaches we are seeing today are breaches of data at rest. Existing CRM
systems that are sold are based on the Ford-Wiener key release scheme which
works for DRM because it isn't a confidentiality problem. The contents of
the Lord of the Rings movie are not confidential, the concern is preventing
onward distribution.

With threshold encryption, the private key is split in two so the cloud
service does not have the ability to decrypt the document by itself. If the
key is split into n pieces, it takes n breaches.

I submitted this as Internet Drafts but they are written according to the
new HTML with diagrams format which is not yet supported by the IETF
tooling. My tooling supports it so I recommend reading the document version
here:

http://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-mesh-dare.html
http://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-mesh-cryptography.html

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 7:30 PM Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'd like to schedule a time for this group to chat about the state of web
> packaging in Montreal. We'll have just finished the ESCAPE workshop (
> https://www.iab.org/activities/workshops/escape-workshop/), and I can
> discuss the progress in the specifications and Chromium's implementation.
>
> Would anyone have trouble attending the 8:30-9:45am slot on Tuesday
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/105/agenda.html#2019-07-23-080000>?
>
> I'd also like to invite folks from this group to present their thoughts on
> the subject. Let me know if you want time and how much, and I'll put an
> agenda together.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeffrey
> _______________________________________________
> Wpack mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/wpack
>

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 08:33:51 +1000

+1, Sounds good to me and blocked on my calendar. 

FWIW there's a HTTP Priorities side meeting that's coalescing on Wednesday in the same slot, and I suspect a few folks will want to go to both, so Tuesday is (for now) good.

Cheers,

> On 29 Jun 2019, at 9:29 am, Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin=[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I'd like to schedule a time for this group to chat about the state of web packaging in Montreal. We'll have just finished the ESCAPE workshop (https://www.iab.org/activities/workshops/escape-workshop/), and I can discuss the progress in the specifications and Chromium's implementation. 
> 
> Would anyone have trouble attending the 8:30-9:45am slot on Tuesday?
> 
> I'd also like to invite folks from this group to present their thoughts on the subject. Let me know if you want time and how much, and I'll put an agenda together.
> 
> Thanks,
> Jeffrey

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/