Subject: [Wpack] Approach to use for web packaging media types

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 15:17:40 -0700

Hi Murray (and wpack@ietf to keep folks in the loop),

The web packaging draft specifications propose a couple media types, which
we're experimenting with in Chromium. Specifically:

https://wicg.github.io/webpackage/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses.html#iana-considerations
* application/signed-exchange
* application/cert-chain+cbor

https://wicg.github.io/webpackage/draft-yasskin-wpack-bundled-exchanges.html#internet-media-type-registration
* application/webbundle

These specifications haven't been accepted into an IETF WG yet, so I hadn't
asked for provisional registration, but since we've already deployed some
code using application/signed-exchange and are implementing support for
application/webbundle, Ted Hardie suggested we get your advice on how to
handle the media types.

Do you expect to want us to change anything about how those media types are
spelled? Since we're already writing the drafts under the WICG W3C
Community Group, should I request provisional registrations now? Should we
instead use the vnd. tree until an IETF WG adopts the drafts?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 10:22:30 -0700

Hi Jeffrey,

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 3:17 PM Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> These specifications haven't been accepted into an IETF WG yet, so I
> hadn't asked for provisional registration, but since we've already deployed
> some code using application/signed-exchange and are implementing support
> for application/webbundle, Ted Hardie suggested we get your advice on how
> to handle the media types.
>

You can submit a provisional registration for those names.  All you need is
the name(s) you want to reserve and contact information, which I believe
could be the chairs or yourself, as the working group pleases, and stick
that in an email to [email-masked].  I don't think they need formal
review or approval beyond that (according to RFC 6838 Section 5.2.1); IANA
just does it.

Later, when the working group has a complete registration to standardize,
that would replace the provisional stub and move it to a regular
registration.  Since it's coming from a working group, IESG approval of the
document completes the registration process, though you're welcome to
request a review of the formal registration from us at any time in the
process.  If you decide to change the names or otherwise abandon the
provisional registrations, please let us know so they're not left dangling.

-MSK

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 11:08:41 -0700

Hi Murray,

Your message below refers to a working group, but an IETF working group has
not yet been formed.  Do you mean the W3C interest group, or can Jeffrey go
ahead with the process you outlined on the strength of the upcoming BoF?

Ted

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 10:22 AM Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> to handle the media types..
>>
>
> You can submit a provisional registration for those names.  All you need
> is the name(s) you want to reserve and contact information, which I believe
> _______________________________________________
> Wpack mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/wpack
>

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 15:58:50 -0700

Sorry, I saw "[email-masked]" and assumed there was a working group.

I think Jeffrey can make the provisional registration solo, especially
given the apparent momentum.  But again, if things change, please
deregister or update it as appropriate.

-MSK

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 11:09 AM Ted Hardie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Murray,
>
> Your message below refers to a working group, but an IETF working group
> has not yet been formed.  Do you mean the W3C interest group, or can
> Jeffrey go ahead with the process you outlined on the strength of the
> upcoming BoF?
>
> Ted
>
>> that in an email to [email-masked].  I don't think they need
>> formal review or approval beyond that (according to RFC 6838 Section
>> 5.2.1); IANA just does it.
>>

---

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 16:26:49 -0700

Thanks! I'll provisionally register these media types then.

Jeffrey

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 3:59 PM Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>> Later, when the working group has a complete registration to
>>> standardize, that would replace the provisional stub and move it to a
>>> regular registration.  Since it's coming from a working group, IESG
>>> approval of the document completes the registration process, though you're
>>> welcome to request a review of the formal registration from us at any time
>>> in the process.  If you decide to change the names or otherwise abandon the