Subject: Re: draft-hoschka-smil-media-type vs +xml
From: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:19:29 +0100
List-Id: <ietf-xml-mime.imc.org>

On Monday, December 12, 2005, 10:27:14 AM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> Hi,

BH>  
BH> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-12.txt
BH> is a bit old by now, but I don't think application/smil should be COMMON
BH> as it does not use the +xml convention for XML media types. Instead, it
BH> should be OBSOLETE and application/smil+xml, defined in the same draft,
BH> should be used instead.

BH> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/PR-SMIL2-20050927/ only has application/smil
BH> (which is not currently registered), it should use application/smil+xml
BH> and point out that application/smil is obsolete, assuming that the +xml
BH> version will be registered in the not too distant future.

Thanks for spotting this, Björn. I suspect it was copied over from SMIL
2.0 which predates the +xml convention. I agree that
application/smil+xml should be the preferred type and should be
registered.

SMIL editors, the procedure to follow is given at
http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.html

(and is supposed to start at last call, by the way)

-- 
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[email-masked]
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: draft-hoschka-smil-media-type vs +xml
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:27:14 +0100
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-12.txt
is a bit old by now, but I don't think application/smil should be COMMON
as it does not use the +xml convention for XML media types. Instead, it
should be OBSOLETE and application/smil+xml, defined in the same draft,
should be used instead.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/PR-SMIL2-20050927/ only has application/smil
(which is not currently registered), it should use application/smil+xml
and point out that application/smil is obsolete, assuming that the +xml
version will be registered in the not too distant future.

regards,
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
68309 Mannheim · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/