Subject: [Fwd: Re: Request for review of InkML media type: application/inkml+xml]
From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 04:44:51 +0900
List-Id: <ietf-xml-mime.imc.org>

forwarding the response from Ietf-types list for archival purpose.

Kazuyuki

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Request for review of InkML media type: application/inkml+xml
Date: 	Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:45:15 +0100
From: 	Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Organization: 	
To: 	[email-masked]
References: 
<[email-masked]>

Kazuyuki Ashimura wrote:

> the security issues of RFC1738, section 6, should be considered.

Please s/RFC1738, section 6/RFC3986, section 7/ if you have no
special reasons to use the almost completely obsolete RFC 1738.

> Published specification:
> -------------------------
> 
> This media type registration is for InkML documents as described
> by this specification.

IMO you need a reference for "this" specification, IANA publishes
only your registration template, where "this" would make no sense.

 Frank

-- 
Kazuyuki Ashimura / W3C Multimodal & Voice Activity Lead
mailto: [email-masked]
voice: +81.466.49.1170 / fax: +81.466.49.1171

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:38:22 +0900
From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Request for review of InkML media type: application/inkml+xml
Sender: [email-masked]

Dear list,

W3C published a Last Call Working Draft for "Ink Markup Language
(InkML)" at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-InkML-20061023/

I am sending this request to ask the Ietf-types list for comments on
the Media Type section of the InkML specification following the
procedure defined at:

http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype

---
The Media Type section of the InkML specification is available at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-InkML-20061023/#mime-definition

and a plaintext copy is also available below.

MIME media type name:
----------------------

application

MIME subtype name:
-------------------

inkml+xml

Required parameters:
---------------------

None.

Optional parameters:
---------------------

charset

This parameter has identical semantics to the charset parameter of the
application/xml media type as specified in [RFC3023].

Encoding considerations:
-------------------------

By virtue of InkML content being XML, it has the same considerations
when sent as "application/inkml+xml" as does XML. See RFC 3023,
section 3.2.

Security considerations:
-------------------------

Several InkML instructions may cause arbitrary URIs to be
dereferenced. In this case, the security issues of RFC1738, section 6,
should be considered.

In addition, because of the extensibility features for InkML, it is
possible that "application/inkml+xml" may describe content that has
security implications beyond those described here. However, if the
processor follows only the normative semantics of this specification,
this content will be ignored. Only in the case where the processor
recognizes and processes the additional content, or where further
processing of that content is dispatched to other processors, would
security issues potentially arise. And in that case, they would fall
outside the domain of this registration document.

Interoperability considerations:
---------------------------------

This specification describes processing semantics that dictate
behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among other things,
unrecognized elements.

Because InkML is extensible, conformant "application/inkml+xml"
processors can expect that content received is well-formed XML, but it
cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid InkML or that the
processor will recognize all of the elements and attributes in the
document.

Published specification:
-------------------------

This media type registration is for InkML documents as described by
this specification.

Additional information:
-------------------------

Magic number(s):

There is no single initial octet sequence that is always present in
InkML documents.

File extension(s):

InkML documents are most often identified with the extensions ".ink"
or ".inkml".

Macintosh File Type Code(s):

TEXT

Intended usage:
----------------

COMMON

Author/Change controller:
--------------------------

The InkML specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
Consortium's Multimodal Interaction Working Group. The W3C has change
control over these specifications.

Normative References:
----------------------

[RFC3023]
XML Media Types. IETF RFC 3023. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt .

Sincerely,

Kazuyuki

-- 
Kazuyuki Ashimura / W3C Multimodal & Voice Activity Lead
mailto: [email-masked]
voice: +81.466.49.1170 / fax: +81.466.49.1171

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:35:56 +0900
From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [resent] Request for review of EMMA media type: application/emma+xml
Sender: [email-masked]

Dear list,

# terribly sorry but resending this message, because apparently I used wrong
# email address in my previous message...

W3C published a Candidate Recommendation for "EMMA: Extensible
MultiModal Annotation markup language" at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-emma-20071211/

I am sending this request to ask the Ietf-types list for comments on
the Media Type section of the EMMA specification following the
procedure defined at:

http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype

---
The Media Type section of the EMMA specification is available at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-emma-20071211/#appB

and a plaintext copy is also available below.

MIME media type name:
----------------------

application

MIME subtype name:
-------------------

emma+xml

Required parameters:
---------------------

None.

Optional parameters:
---------------------

charset

This parameter has identical semantics to the charset parameter of the
application/xml media type as specified in [RFC3023] or its successor.

Encoding considerations:
-------------------------

By virtue of EMMA content being XML, it has the same considerations
when sent as "application/emma+xml"as does XML. See RFC 3023 (or its
successor), section 3.2.

Security considerations:
-------------------------

Several features of EMMA require dereferencing arbitrary
URIs. Implementers are advised to heed the security issues of
[RFC3986] section 7.

In addition, because of the extensibility features for EMMA, it is
possible that "application/emma+xml" will describe content that has
security implications beyond those described here. However, if the
processor follows only the normative semantics of this specification,
this content will be ignored. Only in the case where the processor
recognizes and processes the additional content, or where further
processing of that content is dispatched to other processors, would
security issues potentially arise. And in that case, they would fall
outside the domain of this registration document.

Interoperability considerations:
---------------------------------

This specification describes processing semantics that dictate the
required behavior for dealing with, among other things, unrecognized
elements.

Because EMMA is extensible, conformant "application/emma+xml"
processors MAY expect that content received is well-formed XML, but
processors SHOULD NOT assume that the content is valid EMMA or expect
to recognize all of the elements and attributes in the document.

Published specification:
-------------------------

This media type registration is for EMMA documents as described by
this specification.

Additional information:
------------------------

Magic number(s):

There is no single initial octet sequence that is always present in
EMMA documents.

File extension(s):

EMMA documents are most often identified with the extensions ".emma".

Macintosh File Type Code(s):

TEXT

Person & email address to contact for further information:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Kazuyuki Ashimura, <[email-masked]>.

Intended usage:
----------------

COMMON

Author/Change controller:
--------------------------

The EMMA specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
Consortium's Multimodal Interaction Working Group. The W3C has change
control over these specifications.

Normative References:
----------------------

[RFC3023]
M. Murata et al., editors. XML Media Types. IETF RFC 3023, January 2001
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt

[RFC3986]
T. Berners-Lee et al., editors. Uniform Resource Identifier (URI):
Generic Syntax. IETF RFC 3986, January 2005.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt

Sincerely,

Kazuyuki

-- 
Kazuyuki Ashimura / W3C Multimodal & Voice Activity Lead
mailto: [email-masked]
voice: +81.466.49.1170 / fax: +81.466.49.1171